Can't tell you how much I needed to read those kind words, Rebekah. I've had dogs most of my life... well, all of my life except for the 4 years I lived in the SF Bay Area (early 80s) and the last 4 years. My last 2 dogs I had to give up; the first one snapped at one of my 4-year old neighbors (came so close his face got wet), the second, a miniature Golden Retriever, was more than my lungs could take (fine floating fur and dander, plus the poop scooping and other upkeep, especially in the snowy winters, was more than I could manage. I blame it on my emphysema, but the bottom line is, it's a disease I did to myself.
I'm not much of a volunteer. I miss petting and holding a dog. I like the affection they so readily give. I don't get any kisses from girls anymore, so a sloppy wet tongue lapping at my hands and face from a furry friend is not a bad substitution (well, there's
nothing better than lipstick kisses, so the love of a dog is a distant second

). The animal shelter is less than a mile from home, so I go there as often as I can to sit with any lonely dog that'll have me for a few minutes. The staff honored me recently with the keypad code to let myself in.
I have thought many times about getting a special leash that will allow me to "walk" a dog while I'm on my Segway (it's a 4' plastic rod with a short leash attached that prevents a dog from getting in front of a Seg or a bike). I haven't taken a camera in before, but that's a great idea.
Thanks again for your encouragement.
Jim