My New Camera!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wife and I stopped by The Goodwill Tuesday and I bought a new digital camera! I payed a hefty $7.20 and got a Canon A3000 Powershot. I figured the SD card was worth about that.

a3000.jpg

Usually Goodwill digital cameras are always missing something. This one was intact in a LowePro case and included SD card, battery and battery charger. Camera is pristine without a mark on it and works as new.

When I got it home I looked at the SD card -- it was full of photos from 2013 through 2015 including vacations to the Rockies and the Gulf Coast. From what I could tell it belonged to an old Catholic Nun who I will assume has passed.

So I took some snaps with it -- my tangerine tree:

tangerine_a3000.jpg

I looked up the SD card on Amazon and it's 12.95 so I'm ahead almost $5.00. I'll watch for a neighborhood kid to pass the camera on.

Joe

Run some recovery software on the card before you use it. You might find something worth blackmailing someone with. :eyebrows:

Run some recovery software on the card before you use it. You might find something worth blackmailing someone with. :eyebrows:

Blackmail the Catholic Nuns?! :eek:

Joe

Not bad at all. Price was right. And one very happy neighborhood kid. Kudos to you.

I've had great luck with Goodwill cameras.

A nice score! Goodwill cameras are sometimes hit and miss, but yours seems like a really good example and it came with a good card full of images! My last Goodwill success story was a near-mint 1958 Argus C-3 with case...a really clllleeeeeean example of The Brick! Other Goodwill-ers I've purchased have been bad, like a Pentax IQ Zoom 90 that suuuucked....it ate lithium batteries like every two days....but I did get a nice Nikon 12-MP CoolPix for $7 from Deseret Industries,and that little Nikon is a snappy shooter.

Dang...I might hit up Goodwill tomorrow...I was there the other day, and passed on a cute little Sony for $7,and a cheap Olympus for $5.

A nice score! Goodwill cameras are sometimes hit and miss, but yours seems like a really good example and it came with a good card full of images! My last Goodwill success story was a near-mint 1958 Argus C-3 with case...a really clllleeeeeean example of The Brick! Other Goodwill-ers I've purchased have been bad, like a Pentax IQ Zoom 90 that suuuucked....it ate lithium batteries like every two days....but I did get a nice Nikon 12-MP CoolPix for $7 from Deseret Industries,and that little Nikon is a snappy shooter.

Dang...I might hit up Goodwill tomorrow...I was there the other day, and passed on a cute little Sony for $7,and a cheap Olympus for $5.

Having a brick is like having a piece of history -- Duane Michals was a confirmed C3 user for a long time. This little Canon is already forgotten.

Joe

Did you go back and get them? Yeah, they can be hit or miss, but I've had more hits.

About a year ago my oldest grandson was bugging me for a camera he wanted for vlogging. He'd done the research and knew what he wanted. A Canon P&S. 12 or 14 MP. Forget the model. Because it worked well for this purpose, it held it's value. Even on Ebay. Wow! Told him that would have to be a Christmas present and I'd work on it. Three days later I walked into Goodwill and found that exact model. Complete, in the box. 7.99. Also found a mini tripod, a "bendy" gorilla type tripod and a selfie stick. About 20.00 out the door. Gave it to him right away and found something else for Xmas. He was surprised and tickled pink. Still using it.

Of course the younger one started bugging me. Several months ago, I found a Nikon 16MP S8200. It was incomplete but had the battery, memory card and leather case to carry on your belt. 8.99 and it was senior day. 25% off. Had to order a charger and USB cable. Again, around 20.00. Works great. Gave it to him the day of the waterfall hike. He took some really nice pictures with it.

Sorry for the long post, but Goodwill is pretty good about returns. Take a chance on some. Especially if you want to pass it on to someone. Make their day, and maybe get them hooked on photography.

Having a brick is like having a piece of history -- Duane Michals was a confirmed C3 user for a long time. This little Canon is already forgotten.

Joe

Found a good home for it?

Not yet, you got one?

Joe

No, you made it sound like it was history.

Sorry, just the way I described it -- it's not even history; it's forgotten. But if I'm patient I'll find a neighbor kid for it eventually. I'm not sure there's much future for a camera about the size of a phone that takes photos like a phone but can't make a call or allow you to watch Ralph Broke the Internet.

Joe

Cheap, forgotten, old cameras are lots of fun. Very little if any money invested. Still good enough for a 8x10 print. And really interesting to see what you can pull out of it. Just all around fun..

Congrats on your find. Nice photo

Hey if you want mail it to me i will give it to my 9 year old. Pay you what you have into it if you like

Most reactions

New Topics

Back