My Newest Acquisition

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On a whim I snatched up a Pentax Asahi Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f/2.5. A full manual lens, it got several good write ups, when used on the K1MII. I didn't necessarily need this focal length but being a prime and f/2.5 I bit. Took a few ambient light test shots today.

First at f/2.5
135 mm20190606_0918.jpg

2nd at f/5.6
135 mm20190606_0924.jpg

And the last at f/8
135 mm20190606_0925.jpg

All in all its a little bit of a pain to use. With no contacts, I have to set the focal length every time I turn it on and the meter only works in Live View. Focusing in Live View isn't to bad, with the magnification turned up its fairly easy to dial it in, but even then it seems slightly soft. I'm really anxious to try it on some portraits where that slight softness might really shine. Over the last few years I've gotten lazy with all the new technology so it will take some getting used to, but for the $25 I paid for it, I can learn to live with it. :allteeth:

Pentax Asahi Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f/2.5...

fun to use though, right/ Kind of a time warp, back to the Nixon/Ford/Carter era!

The Bayonet mount doesn't have the coating of the earlier model, so a lens hood would help, but still for the money it's a diamond in the rough. The glass is pristine, no dings, or internal dust, silky smooth focus ring, and exterior looks good. Almost like some one bought it, put it in a drawer and never used it.

" Almost like some one bought it, put it in a drawer and never used it. "

Happens. Often really MINTY gear comes from similar situations!

" Almost like some one bought it, put it in a drawer and never used it. "

Happens. Often really MINTY gear comes from similar situations!

Usually for me the "MINTY" refers to the green fungus. LOL

Can't go wrong for $25. That is a nice piece of glass.

Can't go wrong for $25. That is a nice piece of glass.

I'd been keeping an eye for the Super Takumar 135 F/2.5 because of the coating, but they're hard to find at a decent price. While it's not in the legacy class of the ST, I think it can come close.

At 25 bucks, I would say your purchase was a huge success.

I own a nice thread-mount 135/3.5 Super-Takumar. Nice bokeh, very pretty imager.

I do believe you made a wise and fruitful choice ( looking at that first photo ;) ). I am sure if you tire of it, you can turn a profit here on the forum.

Another try, another tip - don't try manual focus with a narrow DOF on a windy day :aiwebs_016:
Drove me crazy, but still check out the bug that photo bombed me. LOL

This is exactly what I deal with when using the Lensbaby I own. Manual focus with the DOF it has and the wind can make you loose your religion!

Most reactions

Back