My Pet Peeve

It is a sad state these days and getting worse all the time. Amateur professionals, I know way too many of them. Some of them come to me for help, I'll help almost anyone. I recently covered the Pan American Games where Nikon and Canon was loaning gear to all the accredited "professionals" I sat around people everyday asking the most basic questions, why doesn't it autofocus, well it has been switched off, how do I switch it back on? I watched people drop brand new gear and not care. These people were using D4 or 1Dx bodies and 300mm to 600mm borrowed gear, and didn't have a clue how to use any of it. I did not offer any help to these people. If they had of using, or owned gear I would have, but then the ones that owned the gear knew how to use it. A few months back I helped a guy with all the basics, what to look for, how to see the light, he didn't know what backlight was. He was using entry level gear, he appreciated the help, fast forward he took some of his 100k job money and bought a D4 and 300 2.8, and now he has been contacting my client about his work. I found out and lit his ass up. He didn't think there was anything wrong offering to shoot for free. We have an understanding now, I can't use the words. It's a frustrating world out there now, I try and not let what others do bother me, but some days.

How to put this in Politically Correct language.... Pro photographers who suck.

OK that's not very PC is it? How about people charging for photography who haven't invested any time in understanding the craft. Who feel they should be charging but don't know what aperture is. I had to help a young Pro shooter not too long ago figure out how to set aperture on her basic Canon camera, and I shoot Nikon...it wasn't that hard to figure out.

I know this has been brought up before but I felt like a rant.

You know, I don't charge for my photography anymore...I turn down paying jobs every day. I only shoot for my pleasure and I only shoot what and who I want.

I know there's a market for very good, good and even mediocre shooters but damn, it still makes me wince. If you suck and you charge, at least be humble! :D

My pet peeve is that you, Trever, don't post more of your shoot results more often. Get with it big guy!

The main reason is that some fools think Pro = getting paid, rather than Pro = level of quality and skill.

But sadly unlike other fields people can buy a best buy camera, charge some sucker $100 and then call themselves a Professional Phototaker.

We need licenses.

It is a sad state these days and getting worse all the time. Amateur professionals, I know way too many of them. Some of them come to me for help, I'll help almost anyone. I recently covered the Pan American Games where Nikon and Canon was loaning gear to all the accredited "professionals" I sat around people everyday asking the most basic questions, why doesn't it autofocus, well it has been switched off, how do I switch it back on? I watched people drop brand new gear and not care. These people were using D4 or 1Dx bodies and 300mm to 600mm borrowed gear, and didn't have a clue how to use any of it. I did not offer any help to these people. If they had of using, or owned gear I would have, but then the ones that owned the gear knew how to use it. A few months back I helped a guy with all the basics, what to look for, how to see the light, he didn't know what backlight was. He was using entry level gear, he appreciated the help, fast forward he took some of his 100k job money and bought a D4 and 300 2.8, and now he has been contacting my client about his work. I found out and lit his ass up. He didn't think there was anything wrong offering to shoot for free. We have an understanding now, I can't use the words. It's a frustrating world out there now, I try and not let what others do bother me, but some days.

Disgusting.

Reminds me of that ski race I did last winter. Registration made it sound like it was a huge deal to get on the course, instead the course was filled with folks with kit lenses or crazy expensive gear and no clue what they were doing. You could tell the working pro's because they were the guys with the big old prime's that were all beat up.

Thankfully I had enough knowledge and skill to over come my ski racing virginity.

You could break down backhoe/JCB drivers into three categories: Poor, Decent, Skilled. The same goes for any profession.

You could break down backhoe/JCB drivers into three categories: Poor, Decent, Skilled. The same goes for any profession.

Well no, not really. In most cases training and working the trades takes time to get into a position. Anyone can buy a camera and start charging, there's a difference there.

My opinion of this is that since we're in an era where literally everyone owning a smartphone is a photographer, the customers have grown accustomed to seeing "bad/okay" pictures and has lowered it's standard for professional imagery as well as a result.

How many time do you see those badly exposed group shot at bars on facebook. Seriously, they are everywhere and that's only one example.

I think this is what sparkled the trend " I got the gears so I charge ". But honestly speaking it is kind of sad for people who actually work their buts off everyday to hone their skills and deliver decent work. As long as the client is okay with it I guess....

I hate mcdonalds too!

I really don't worry about what other people do.

If someone sucks and they charge, well, there ya' go. Just goes to prove that there's a customer for every photographer.

The people who are paying for the crappy photographer probably wouldn't be too interested in what I have to offer them, so I'm not all too interested in wasting any discernible amount of time worrying about what that crappy photographer is doing to get customers who are incapable of recognizing professional quality.

I get asked to do stuff all the time for free and even then I tell them I suck at it. The results never disappoint... A lot of people don't know a good photo from a bad. I actually get embarrassed when I get in front of the monitor. I suffer really.

The customer base we have is quite unaware also. Most have no idea what goes into prep and post. I here people complain all the time about "Why do I have to pay just to see the photos?" I mean, maybe they're right, It's not like I have to edit whether they buy them or not. Don't get me started on sports parents. lol

At least my camera takes great photos……..

I a gourmet coffee lover. It's worth one's life to get a decent cup of coffee anywhere, especially at *$. I go into a K-Mart and the bathing trunks look like they would fit a troupe of sumo wrestlers, all at one time. I had satellite TV with 504 channels and the only things worth watching outside of PBS were old re-runs of Law And Order, the ones with Lenny in them. Our roads are a wreck, our bridges are deathtraps, out schools are either over testing or ignoring the kids. And you gripe about lousy photographers. I watch a lot of real estate listings on Realtor.com and other venues. I can hardly believe how Gawdauful some of the photos shown for $4 million homes are. Obviously some Realtor is snapping quick images with his credit card-sized digital ad vomiting them onto the Internet. These guys make great rooms look like toilets. But what is most amazing is that the owners of the big bucks home don't say a word. It would seem almost nobody know a good photo from a terrible one these days. By the way I have done real estate photography and sold real estate, as well. Some real estate photogs still take the time to set everything up carefully, use proper equipment, will look to see what time a day is the best for outdoor shots or outdoor-indoor shots and do nighttime long exposure photos with balanced lighting to properly light the interior. But they are slowly losing out.

I'm a firm believer in the "everybody starts somewhere" mentality. However, I also think you should pride yourself in your work. Photographers who don't even know how to use a camera make as much sense as a taxi driver who doesn't know how to drive a car or a carpenter who doesn't know how to use a hammer. It's really upsetting how creative jobs can't be taken seriously because artists can't take themselves seriously.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back