My photos are NOT OK to edit.

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been curious to the reasons why people set their profile in that manner. So, what are your reasons for doing so, or NOT doing so, for that matter?

Me, I figure what better way to see what people are talking about than to let them show it directly.

Well, the drunk-bus (aka my CR-V) hasn't left yet as my wife and her friends are still getting ready so I have a few moments to reply (I LOVE playing designated driver... was the sarcasm properly conveyed?).

I have it set because I'm overly protective of my work. When I have pics printed at my local lab, they're under STRICT instructions to not do ANY manipulation whatsoever. Am I probably going overboard? YES! I've debated with myself time and time again about changing my profile to allow editing, but have always said, "no".

I guess I'm a bit of a control freak... at least that's what my wife tells me.

So... basically I don't have a good reason for it other than "the pics are mine and I don't want anyone messing with them".

The way I see, if I put a watermark on all the photos I like. Why worry about it? The photos are yours. Also I like to see what others can do to edit them.

Well, the drunk-bus (aka my CR-V) hasn't left yet as my wife and her friends are still getting ready so I have a few moments to reply (I LOVE playing designated driver... was the sarcasm properly conveyed?).

I have it set because I'm overly protective of my work. When I have pics printed at my local lab, they're under STRICT instructions to not do ANY manipulation whatsoever. Am I probably going overboard? YES! I've debated with myself time and time again about changing my profile to allow editing, but have always said, "no".

I guess I'm a bit of a control freak... at least that's what my wife tells me.

So... basically I don't have a good reason for it other than "the pics are mine and I don't want anyone messing with them".

:confused:

I've actually wondered this myself, Bitter. The 'DO NOT' tag doesn't actually keep people from downloading and editing photos, it just prevents them from re-posting edits. I've downloaded photos numerous times on people who say do not, just to edit and see what I come up with. It's a shame in those instances I can't repost the edited image to help them understand what I might be talking about.

For me, it's far easier for me to understand someone's critique if they can show me.

Well I first had it checked so people could not edit my photos, because I thought it meant they could use them for whatever purpose. Later when I realized it's just for people to mess with if you ask for C&C, then I though it's a good thing. I think people who don't want others to edit theirs probably have their various reasons, just like all the peeps who water mark theirs.

Same here. Some people really like to "play around" with other peoples photos. Like boosting saturation until your eyes bleed, using different "actions" that look un-natural etc.

I have occasionally allowed editing, usually for a different crop suggestion. ;)

I've been curious to the reasons why people set their profile in that manner. So, what are your reasons for doing so, or NOT doing so, for that matter?

Me, I figure what better way to see what people are talking about than to let them show it directly.

If someone can show me a new technique to achieve something different...well that would be awesome.

I'm open always to new ideas.

I say it is ok to edit.
Why not? Someone could come up with some idea I've not thought of!

If someone asks I have no problem with it. But I wouldn't want someone with no idea how to edit, editing something that I took the time to make how I wanted it to look.

If that makes sense.

Last edited:
i just dont want people saying its theirs, and i dont wanna "ruin" my photos w/ a water mark

i just dont want people saying its theirs, and i dont wanna "ruin" my photos w/ a water mark

Why not just make a watermark? Also all it does is keeping them from posting the photos on THIS forum. They can still post it any where else

I don't care if they edit them (mine) or not. More often than not, thier version is better than mine. I would just ask them what they did. I consider it a learning experience. There are a lot of Pro's and Experts here, and there's a lot to be learned for a hobbiest. If I had a picture that I just absolutely didn't want edited, I just wouldn't post it. I guess differrent people have different preferences. Never gave it much thought until now.

J.:confused:

Same here. Some people really like to "play around" with other peoples photos. Like boosting saturation until your eyes bleed, using different "actions" that look un-natural etc.

I have occasionally allowed editing, usually for a different crop suggestion. ;)

Pretty much this^^

I initially had it OK'd but changed it after seeing some results of other peoples liberties taken....

I don't have a problem if someone asks because they want to demonstrate a technique, but just leaving every photo open to play with doesn't really seem necessary. Especially if you consider the person will be editing a Compressed Jpeg anyways.

Maybe if they had an option that said "Ask first", you would see that as a top choice.

Why not just make a watermark? Also all it does is keeping them from posting the photos on THIS forum. They can still post it any where else

because then i cant really remove the watermark on the photo unless i save 3 copies one a psd and the other a jpeg of the psd w/ the watermark, and one w/o and i like to conserve space on my terabite hardrive

haha i wish i had a terabite

Most reactions

Back