My photos print out flat!

danbob6

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read a number of recent posts about problems with cropping and resizing when folks have used WalMart, CVS or Costco to develop their digital photos. The problem I'm having is that the colors on the prints aren't nearly as vivid and real as those on my computer screen, after I've used an photo editing program to correct/enhance the image. I see that a lot of people recommend using a professional photo shop (Mpix, Bay Photo, Nations Photo Lab). Can someone explain to me what the 'pro shops' do differently (and apparently better) than the big box stores?

Thanks
Dan

I read a interesting post on Zemya's photography blog, whereby she sent the same image to print to many different labs. Her results were posted on her blog below.
Where should I print my photos?: Bay Area Photography | Zemya Photography

While I have never worked at a photolab, I think there would be many differences from lab to lab and lab worker to lab worker. Equipment and color profiling would certainly be different at different establishments. I have had my best results from Bay Photo, sending them sRGB images. One thing for sure, make sure you use the same color profile as what the lab uses. You can google the color profile used at your printing location.

I also think there is a big difference from a typical retail store and a lab. I think that at any given retail location the focus would be on quantity, speed and quality. I believe a photolab, that is nothing but a photolab, has their entire reputation at stake, and would likely rise to a higher level of quality. The employees at a photolab vs a retail location are likely more interested in the business, to me anyways. I trust that a photolab operator at a photolab business may bother to look at my prints as they come out of the printer - this is just my opinion.

Thanks for your response. You bring up some good points which tend to lead me to a lab vs. a retail store. On the other hand, the recommendation on the post you included was Costco!

I believe you also have to tell some places not to edit, like Walgreens. Otherwise they run auto programs on your prints which could adjust things. I also am having a problem getting prints that look as good as on the computer and will hopefully give Costco a shot soon. Mpix does seem like a pretty solid place also but I'm not very patient.

Calibrate your monitor so you are working with good color to start, then before you send out your prints assign them the color profile for that printer. Even the Walmarts,Walgreens and Costcos provide that information for each machine at different locations. Even if you use a lab you send the files into you should be using their color profiles. You can get printer profiles here... Digital photo lab profiles Keep an eye out when printing at local Costcos here in Wa., several of them use different printers in the same store so you have to specify which printer you want your prints done on.

BTW, I use the one in Puyallup and they have had the same 3 lead techs working in their lab for over 10 years now. The work there is very consistent

Calibrate your monitor so you are working with good color to start, then before you send out your prints assign them the color profile for that printer. Even the Walmarts,Walgreens and Costcos provide that information for each machine at different locations. Even if you use a lab you send the files into you should be using their color profiles. You can get printer profiles here... Digital photo lab profiles Keep an eye out when printing at local Costcos here in Wa., several of them use different printers in the same store so you have to specify which printer you want your prints done on.

BTW, I use the one in Puyallup and they have had the same 3 lead techs working in their lab for over 10 years now. The work there is very consistent

Thanks for the suggestion about calibrating my monitor. One question: the instructions listed in the Dry Creek Photo link refer often to Photoshop. Is it essential to have Photoshop in order to do this calibration? I'm using Apeture on my Mac.

A difference can be dye-sub versus pro inkjet. Stick to (s)RGB throughout the capture/edit/output process if you're using kiosk dye-sub (or pro, Fuji inkjet lab).

Is it essential to have Photoshop in order to do this calibration? I'm using Apeture on my Mac.
No, not to calibrate your display.

Photoshop has a feature that lets you 'soft-proof' a print.

A computer display is lit from behind. A print is lit from the front. Consequently, to see on a computer display an approximation of what a print will look like you have to use an application that can be told the ICC profile of the device that will be making print, and on what paper.

See this group of tutorials: Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Note: There are 3 types of print:
  1. Inkjet. Most places like Wal-mart, Walgreens, CVS use Fuji Frontier commercial inkjet printers.
  2. Chromogenic. Dedicated labs, like Mpix, Bay Photo, WHCC, Nations lab do chromogenic, offset, and inkjet.
  3. Offset. Most offset printing uses the CMYK color space.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back