My picture to be used in a TV show... A couple of questions

To actually answer your questions, it depends on the "clearance agreement", but it likely just assigns them rights and doesn't try to remove yours. So you can still claim you shot the image and use the image in your portfolio, etc.

I've never been able to pay my bills by claiming I took a photograph...

Which wasn't the question.

Since you didn't mention whether or not you're getting paid for the usage, the rest of the posts here don't matter at this point, although I would suggest you do receive some compensation.

I didn't get the impression that any payment was in the mix...

He didn't state one way or the other.

While the point of doing TFCD is to present the model with images they can use to promote themselves, the use by the show for advertising and other things would overstep that, imo.

What does the TFCD release say? Everyone I've ever signed has not only said that I would not sell them, but that the model wouldn't, either. She can use those photos to get a gig (say, by attaching it to an application to get on a reality television show about models), but that's it. Her use of that photo can go no further. Using the photo on a television show constitutes commercial use. I would be shocked if the OP signed a TFCD release which permits this...

The model isn't selling the image. Not sure where you came up with that.

thanks everybody for the replies. For a number of reasons I am not going to discuss here, the compensation part is not what my concern is.

My question was if the agreement would limit the my usage of the photo. So special thanks to those who clarified it.

At this point I have another question. Compensation or not compensation, it is normal for a producer to ask the photographer to sign a release agreement right?

And also, the agreement mentions that I will not sue the producer or its affiliates for the usage of the picture, and that if I do, it will be at my expenses. Again, it is normal, right?

The model isn't selling the image. Not sure where you came up with that.

Fair enough. I should've used the term "use commercially".

She can use the photo to get on the show. But I've never seen a TFCD which permits a model to give the photo to a third party who will then use the image commercially...

thanks everybody for the replies. For a number of reasons I am not going to discuss here, the compensation part is not what my concern is.

Well, okay. But you should be getting paid for this...

My question was if the agreement would limit the my usage of the photo. So special thanks to those who clarified it.

It doesn't seem like it does, but that's not the compelling part. The compelling part is that it seems to give the producers free reign to use it as they see fit, to benefit financially from it (through show sponsors, etc) while you get nothing in return...

At this point I have another question. Compensation or not compensation, it is normal for a producer to ask the photographer to sign a release agreement right?

It's normal, yes, regardless of the compensation.

Without knowing whether or not you're being compensated, it gets a little difficult to discuss. If you were being compensated well, then signing that release may make sense. If you're not being compensated a dime, then signing it borders on the insane.

Are you able to say whether or not you're being compensated financially?

And also, the agreement mentions that I will not sue the producer or its affiliates for the usage of the picture, and that if I do, it will be at my expenses. Again, it is normal, right?

Ask yourself this: If the release was a fair agreement, why would they need to include this? The model is giving the photo to the producers. Now, it's apparent that the producers want free reign to also give it to others.

Sorry, man, that's a huge that's a red flag...

Last edited:
I still disagree about the need to nullify an agreement proactively, if it is void due to lack of compensation (I don't think the case law supports that). Furthermore, I think it is potentially relevant to the OP of this thread: if he does sign this and there is no compensation, then has second thoughts later, he would be in exactly the situation of making such decisions.

But I don't really want to go seek out pro bono contract law advice or look up any more 50 year old supreme court cases, so I'll leave it at just agreeing to disagree, unless/until the OP actually ends up in such a situation.

Ask yourself this: If the release was a fair agreement, why would they need to include this? The model is giving the photo to the producers. Now, it's apparent that the producers want free reign to also give it to others.

Sorry, man, that's a huge that's a red flag...
There is a pretty good reason to include this in some contracts: closing unforeseen loopholes being exploited by douchey signers of the contract in cases where there is some sort of non-contingent and complete transfer of something. I have seen this before in contracts I signed and didn't worry about it, and was not burned by it. But it was in situations where the contract was already very clear that there were to be no exceptions, and so it wasn't really adding anything new other than an extra layer of clarity.

In this case, though, I agree it is a red flag, because based on what was described in the OP, this is NOT a complete and non-contingent license to use your photo. It sounds like the contract only states that the photo is to be used for the show and for show-related things.

Thus, a line that says you can't sue them for ANY usage is not just an innocent anti-douche clause. it is instead actually adding new terms to the contract, by allowing them, as Steve said, to for instance sell the photo as a sub-license to some third party who has nothing to do with the show so that they can also make money off of it (i.e. your photo ends up in toothpaste ads, etc. and you get no cut).

Last edited:
OP, don't know.

But great for you!!

I realize you expect to get nothing from this... but the offer being presented has either AMATEUR or SHADY or LOSER (depending on how long they've been at this and if they deserve the benefit of the doubt) written all over it.

I personally make it a point to NOT deal with shady people. Ever. And to not suffer an amateur to retain that status for long, because thats how they become LOSERS.

If they're SHADY just say no. If they're LOSERS just say no. You don't want your name associated with either of those in any way.

If they're merely amateur schmucks, then tell them or get their act together and make you a REASONABLE offer with a reasonable contract that is consistent with the generally accepted practices of the industry they are in.

I still disagree about the need to nullify an agreement proactively, if it is void due to lack of compensation (I don't think the case law supports that).

I'm not just pulling this stuff outta' the sky.

This very situation happened to a friend of mine. He was not compensated and, when he sold the photo to a second party, the first client pounced on him. He argued that he was not in breach of contract. The court disagreed, and he was ordered to pay damages. Furthermore, he was then sued by the second party for selling them an image that, legally, he was not allowed to sell. The court did not recognize that he was not compensated by the first client. It simply didn't matter. He broke the contract he willingly signed.

At the end of the day, his legal fees and judgments drove him into bankruptcy.

Now, whether or not the same concepts hold, jurisdictionally, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do...

Furthermore, I think it is potentially relevant to the OP of this thread: if he does sign this and there is no compensation, then has second thoughts later, he would be in exactly the situation of making such decisions.

I don't know how else to say this: You're wrong. If you affix your signature to a contract, you can't simply decide, some time down the line, that you're not going to abide by the agreement.

My friend thought exactly that...

If they're merely amateur schmucks, then tell them or get their act together and make you a REASONABLE offer with a reasonable contract that is consistent with the generally accepted practices of the industry they are in.

Excellent point.

I was recently contacted regarding a photo I took of Gerry Beckley of the band America. They wanted the photo to accompany an article in the magazine. I won't get into the details, but the magazine which contacted me wasn't going to get this photo anywhere else. They knew it and I knew it. Accordingly, I was compensated fairly for the photo.

The OP has his ass firmly in the driver's seat. He just needs to realize that...

Steve, maybe it was ruled that way due to them saying it was a valid contract. Or maybe they were taking into account things other than the validity of the contract itself. As one example, if was decided that your friend knowingly deceived by intending to act against his promise all along, they may rule against him for just acting unfairly / fraudulently, regardless of a contract or not (equitable estoppel: Legal Dictionary | Law.com).

Since I can't go look up the exact facts and arguments and decision on just "Steve's friend's county/state court case," it's hard to say really how much it may have been actually about contracts versus something else.

Again, since none of us are AFAIK contract lawyers, and none of us seem willing to put the time into researching lists of publicly detailed (e.g. supreme court) cases or actually asking any lawyers, and since it is not (yet) directly relevant to the OP, I think we should just drop the issue as a case of conflicting intuitions from non-expert positions on both sides.

Steve, maybe it was ruled that way due to them saying it was a valid contract.

Um, duh. Yeah, the court said it was a valid contract.

What point are you trying to make?

Or maybe they were taking into account things other than the validity of the contract itself. As one example, if was decided that your friend knowingly deceived by intending to act against his promise all along, they may rule against him for just acting unfairly / fraudulently, regardless of a contract or not (equitable estoppel: Legal Dictionary | Law.com).

No, the ruling was based on the fact that he signed a legally binding contract which stated he would not sell an image. Some time later, he was offered a nice paycheck for the image, and he took it. He didn't plan on that, it just happened. He conducted himself in such a manner that he broke the contract, and he was hammered for it.

Since I can't go look up the exact facts and arguments and decision on just "Steve's friend's county/state court case," it's hard to say really how much it may have been actually about contracts versus something else.

There was no "something else", and I don't really care if you can look up the facts or not.

There's a pitfall here that the OP could easily fall victim to, so he should be aware of it. You would have the OP dismiss it.

The legal action was brought against based on his being in breach of contract. The plaintiff really didn't have to work very hard to prove their case. They had a contract with my friend's signature on it. They produced irrefutable evidence of him acting in breach of that legally binding contract. The courts said "Yep", and his nightmare was then in full swing...

Again, since none of us are AFAIK contract lawyers, and none of us seem willing to put the time into researching lists of publicly detailed (e.g. supreme court) cases or actually asking any lawyers, and since it is not (yet) directly relevant to the OP...

So only a Supreme Court case will satisfy you?

I was in the courtroom when my buddy's entire life went in the toilet. I heard the arguments and I heard the judge's decision and I heard his opinion. While I felt really, really bad for my friend, the judge's determination was sound and reasoned. My buddy screwed up, and he screwed up big-time, and there was simply no arguing it.

Now, I honestly don't give a rat's ass if someone wants to dismiss that. It doesn't affect me at all. But suggesting that someone can act contrary to a signed contract without repercussion, simply because they're not compensated, is wildly irresponsible on your part, and you should stop doing that.

I think we should just drop the issue as a case of conflicting intuitions from non-expert positions on both sides.

Of course you do.

Look, this is a case where you're simply wrong. Lack of compensation will not protect you from breach of contract. Period.

If you sign a contract in which you are not compensated, it's a legally binding contract. If you don't renegotiate it with the client, or have it nullified by a court (which is always an option), you WILL be in breach of contract if you act contrary to it. You may or may not be sued, but there's no question, legally, as to whether or not you've breached your contract.

That is not my opinion...

Last edited:
You would have the OP dismiss it.
Actually I have advised the OP repeatedly to not sign the contract if there is no compensation.

Therefore it's not relevant to the OP regardless of which one of us one listens to. He would not fall into any pitfall either way, because we both told him not to have anything to do with it.

Which makes your rant purely academic, not an issue of actual advice to a real person. And that's fine. Can't hold that against you: I do it all the time. But at this point, now that you've cleared up any possible ambiguities, it boils down to your single county or whatever court example versus a completely contradicting national organization legal dictionary definition. I have no idea which one is more correct or generalizable or how to resolve a conflict like that when it arises, nor do I think you do. So I don't really see anything else interesting to say.

Anybody finding themselves in a real situation where this matters should, as always, retain a lawyer to figure it out, which is neither of us.

I have no idea which one is more correct or generalizable or how to resolve a conflict like that when it arises, nor do I think you do.

Well, I watched it unfold firsthand. I watched the photographer come out on the s**t end of the stick in a court of law.

Resolution of such a conflict is often handled as it was in the case of my friend: Photographer signs contract. Photographer breaks contract. Photographer gets sued for breach of contract. Photographer listens in horror as judge rules in favor of plaintiff. Photographer loses his shirt.

The key is to address it before a conflict rears its ugly head. If a contract is unfair, that fact doesn't negate it. It's still binding. But, if a contract is truly unfair, getting a court to nullify it is a pretty simple exercise...

Most reactions

Back