my pictures too dark

vera979

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What could be the possible reason why the pictures come out too dark.
I took pictures on a sunny day and used 400 film and yet they are all dark?
Does anyone know why?
Thank you!!!!!

i would imagine that they're underexposed. So you need a longer exposure time and/or a smaller fnumber (larger aperture)

You mentioned that you were shooting on a sunny day, so I must assume that you were shooting outdoors, or at least near an open window. What aperture and shutter speed are you using? Do you use a polarizing lens that is appropriate to your camera? Are you shooting Program, Auto, Manual, Tv or Av? What is your White Balance setting when shooting outdoors? Do you shoot film or digital? If film, can you vouch for the conditon/age of the film? Do you experience the same problem when shooting in low light, or just outdoors in the sunlight? You must first clarify these aspects to your satisfaction before considering any possible mechanical (film) electronic (digital sensor) or lens-related problems.

Yes, indeed, please share settings and possibly a pic.

I was using a film camera SIGMA with 28-80mm lens also SIGMA. Automatic exposure settings.

I was wondering could it be the processing, developing of the film itself, I sent it to a chep place to be developed.

Color or B&W? What in your pic did you base your exposure on?

color. and my comera sets exposure automatically. i don't do anything to set it.

Run another roll of the same brand, make sure it's fresh, and expose relatively the same conditions. If it happens again, I would have the camera checked.

I am assuming by the comments that you are shooting colour negative material, so here are what may be causing the problems.

[1] Film too old, but shouldn't cause a great problem.
[2] Underexposed, even on auto doesn't help us, go outside check what is reads and tell us what it says.
[3] ISO setting on say 800 or higher
[4] Bad processing, check the rebate against a previous film, rebate should be black.
[5] Check density of negatives, visually would do, how does it compare with previous good film you have.
[6] Overexposed when printing by lab.

That's about it, trust this helps. Philip.

www.philipweirphotography.com

Color film... so your camera is automatic... problems?... the meter is only as smart as the person aiming it. Auto cameras have matrix and/or spot metering. If you are aiming the meter spot at a predominately very bright area, it will adjust the shutter speed n aperture acordingly to be stoped down and fast causing the negatives to be underexposed. Just the oposite happens if you are shooting, or rather, aiming the meter spot at a dark part of your subject.

Now that you are more concious of how your meter works, make it an effort to "see" what your meter is looking at. The view in auto cameras' finders generally have a small center spot or a series of matrix spots or squares, the areas your meter "sees" when it takes it's readings. Aim these markings at an area that will encompass a balance of darks n lights, or if it's a spot metering system, something of a neutral mid tone.

Another photo helper is a polarizer filter. It tends to boost colors and contrast a bit, but is only effective when you are shooting at right angles to the suns' direction.

Can you post some of your work? I'll bet your compositions are beautiful.

one more qurstion regarding this. Can this (dark prints i mean) have anything to do with the batary at all. It might be low cause i have been shooting with flash a lot. Sorry if it's a stupid one.

Most reactions

Back