My second wedding. a very interesting one.

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so this was a wedding I was helping out a buddy as a second shooter. as time wore on he wanted to lean on me because I had more experience (because i shot my buddies wedding as a main last july, my first wedding) so by the time the wedding day arrived I was somewhat in charge of things which is fun when ive only gotten the information i told him to ask the bride second hand lol. I tried to get him to work with her on the schedule as best as he could. they didnt want to see each other before hand. so that narrowed our time limit. they showed up an hour late and added in more photos. we were on a beautiful golf course with a lake and gazebo and spots for some great shots. I was concerned about the rain and was told there were tons of great photo spots indoors if need be. day of the wedding bride did not want to go outside and risk getting her dress dirty. she was stressed to the max and was not in the mood for photos. so we asked about those great spots indoors and the planner showed me a wall in a hallway about 10' wide. so for the morning I let my buddy shoot most of the photos while i got spots located and people where they needed to be and setup for the shots. we ended up pulling the bride and groom out of dinner to get shots of the both of them togehter because it was the only available time we had.

The reception I found was a lot more difficult to do with the windows surrounding 75% of the hall. trying to keep the light from blowing out in the windows with people on the dance floor etc was a challenge.But we worked with what we had. During the reception you could see the stress leaving the bride and she had a great time. hugs were exchanged and they were happy with the results.

This was my second wedding. one that if she had came to me I would have passed her on to a more qualified photographer. But I was helping out a friend. I will say this was a high pressure shoot for sure. a stressed out bride. shooting location and time location changes on the fly and dealing with a lot of things that you have to be able to deal with under pressure and to be honest I think I did a halfway decent job of keeping a handle on things. adjusting as need be and making sure even with a bride who was not wanting to do photos, that we got the photos they wanted. without puting to much more stress on her. I didn't get as many photos as I liked while playing coordinater in the morning so I was a bit dissapointed in that, but i'm hoping what I did get was decent enough for being my second wedding. let me know what you guys think, good or bad posting up photos is how i learn to improve.

wedding-1 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

wedding-2 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

wedding-8 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

wedding-10 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

wedding-13 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

that's a pretty nice set!
I love the ring shot.
#3 could have used some fill light, and the guy on the right moved out of the way. but its nice as a candid. without the guy standing on the right, that shot would have been great!
I want to say a little (more) fill flash on 4 and 5...but I think sometimes people throw "needs fill light" around too much. I think these maybe could have benefited from a hair more light, but not enough for me to feel it overly detracts from the photo. im calling nice shots on those two!
i really like #2! although you can see the lighting starting to get a little hot at the right end. could you have moved the line to the left more? a little more out of the window light on the right? not a fan of the air grate above them being in the shot. still a great shot though.
did I mention i loved that ring shot? i really do.

overall a nice set! you should be proud, and the clients very pleased.

Damn seeing all these bunny shots is throwing me off to who im talking with lol.

try to answer some of your responces. though i agree with most of them.

2 it was a huge 3' tallx 20' long window on their right causing the hot spot. probably could have used some fill flash on the left hand side to maybe balance things out. they are pushed as far to the left as we could. the banister ended right after the girl on the left. I took out a bunch of can lights in the ceiling but as i was trying to work with the vent it kept looking fake and photoshopped to me so i left it in. something i need to get better at is cloning bigger stuff out.

3. i agree the guy walking off takes a bit away, and although fill flash could have helped slightly it was during the ceremony and I am trying my best to just not use flash during a ceremony. with two people taking photos I really think the flash popping off ever 30 seconds or so would be disturbing. we had permission to use flash, I don't know. do a lot of you guys use flash during cermenonies? for me, for that part of the day i just try to stay invisable as much as possible.

4. this was a group shot that my buddy was taking with flash setup. I was just getting people setup and arranged and letting him shoot to try to be as quick as possible. after the ceremony we took 5 photos of the brided and groom with his family and she was allready asking if we were done, I politely asked her if she would like any photos of them with her own family and she kinda realised what was going on. so this was just me in the background seeing the two kids and getting the shot.

thanks for the critique and kind words. always a lot to think about.

You have some good ideas. Gotta watch those backgrounds (4 and 5). #3 could've been helped by getting more zoom in on the subjects' faces, eliminating the sad background and lack of light. No light in #5 either. The pose isn't bad, but what if she'd been resting her head on his shoulder instead of a semi-romantic face touch? It reads more romantic than father/daughter. And there's a head in the bg. Watch the backgrounds and control them when possible.

Thanks Joel good point about watching the backgrounds for sure. chances are I was paying attention to them and not thinking about what was behind them at the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back