My shoping list

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I feel after shooting with my xt for a while I'm ready to purchase some stuff.
Out of my own money I will get:
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Induro A-014 Alloy 6M Tripod
Manfrotto Compact Ball Head
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

and for Christmas from my parents:
Lenmar NoMEM Li-Ion CANON NB-2LH 7.4V 700mAh
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF Card
Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD IF Canon Lens
Tiffen 67mm Photo Essential Intro Screw In Glass Filter Kit
B+W Filters 67mm Neutral Density 0.6 102 Glass Screw In Filter

I like to shoot nature/outdoors stuff but I really just shoot everything I see. Is this stuff good for just a basic set up of equipment? After I get a few more pay checks I may get a 70-200mm f/2.8L for shooting animals and stuff as well.

Asking for opinions is good, but you also must take the time to do a lot of the research yourself. I find that when I do my own research, 90% of the time my opinion of what I think I should have differs. More importantly, I understand WHY it differs.

Example:

I had ordered the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 after doing some research. I was pointed to a lens that had JUST come out that not many had reviewed, but was worthy of a closer look. Based on that, I ordered both the Sigma 18-50 and the Tamron 17-50 with the intent to do a head to head comparison and return the one that was the lesser performing lens.

By the time I got my Sigma, reviews, reports and pics started to pour in. In my case, the Sigma was the superior choice because:
- it used HSM (faster focusing)
- it had a 3:1 macro that the Tamron did not have
- it was sharper than either the Tamron or Nikkor equivalents
- it was a touch heavier and in my case, better balanced the camera
- it did not have some of the Tamron quirks like the 3 screws of the front elements coming loose, requiring disassembly.
- it put out more natural colours compared to the lightly over-warm casting of the Tamron lens.

I also discovered the downside:
- the Sigma was about $50 more
- there was the possibility of getting a "bad" lens that front or rear focused (this turned into a great way to learn how to home test your lens and see if it is focusing properly or not, BTW!)

So... what happened to my planned head to head tests? There was a seller error somewhere. First the Tamron lens was delayed for 2 extra weeks, and by that time I fell in love with the Sigma and the pics it put out.

When the lens finally came, they sent me the wrong lens by mistake. I received a Sigma 105mm macro f/2.8 lens. I researched and tested it out thoroughly before deciding if I wanted to return it. I ended up liking it SO MUCH that I kept it, thanks to a generous discount from the seller as an apology for making me wait a couple weeks and then on top of it, sending me the wrong lens.

BTW, just in case some are wondering, I tested my copy of the lens and it focuses just perfectly. :mrgreen:

Moral of the story? Asking opinions is ok, but nothing will be better than your own research. It is also a great way to learn and increase your knowledge!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back