My son skating. C&C requested

UFLGator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out skating and brought the camera. This one was one of the better ones I got that day. Seemed a bit soft, and I'm not sure where to crop it?

editDSC_0609 by UFLGator, on Flickr

Yep....less big tree...more feet.

It's a nice shot of your son. You should enjoy it as a nice memory and keep it. :)

Action shots are difficult to frame, specifically because of the action... That said: try to frame the image so that the "empty" or non-subject space is in front of the subject (direction of motion). In other words, if he's skating head on towards you, as in this shot, the open space should be at the bottom of the image. If he's skating left to right, the open space should be on the right side.

Action shots are difficult to frame, specifically because of the action... That said: try to frame the image so that the "empty" or non-subject space is in front of the subject (direction of motion). In other words, if he's skating head on towards you, as in this shot, the open space should be at the bottom of the image. If he's skating left to right, the open space should be on the right side.

Thank you for the critiques. This was the best focused, but the bottom of the skates were cut off because it was the closest in this shot. I'm just not getting real sharp photos with my kit lens, which i dont suppose should come as a surprise.

I know its not a great photo, but quality critiques like this will help me change things for the better.

UFLGator

Can you post your settings? Kit lens suck but they work well enough outside with sunlight.

Thank you for the critiques. This was the best focused, but the bottom of the skates were cut off because it was the closest in this shot. I'm just not getting real sharp photos with my kit lens, which i dont suppose should come as a surprise.

I know its not a great photo, but quality critiques like this will help me change things for the better.

UFLGator

As Bossy said, I wouldn't think the kit lens would be a major problem in good light.

The EXIF data all looks fairly reasonable to me. You were in aperture priority mode and shooting a few stops above wide open. Your shutter speed was 1/320, with ISO of 200. None of that's out of line.

I'd probably shoot this in shutter priority or manual with ISO at 400, but in all honesty, I don't think that would have changed "this" shot.

Play around with your AF modes. For action, especially sports with erratic motion, I like to shoot in AF-C with dynamic AF. Force the focus point so that it'll typically be on your subject's chest or eyes.

skating.jpg

he also has a flag coming out of his head.

If you're going to do fake DOF, at least cut him out correctly. There are pieces around him "not in focus"

If you're going to do fake DOF, at least cut him out correctly. There are pieces around him "not in focus"

I imagine it was just a quick play to show her what it could be, rather than a professional edit.

What's not in focus?

Most kit lenses do not suck, contrary they're pretty damn good for what they are but are rather limiting. Your problem here isn't the kit lens, more likely it's your focus on a moving subject.

Most kit lenses do not suck, contrary they're pretty damn good for what they are but are rather limiting. Your problem here isn't the kit lens, more likely it's your focus on a moving subject.
I'm sorry, totally inappropriate thread jack, but This pops in my head every time you post :)

And I agree :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back