My Studio Setup... Advice on nest step...

BuS_RiDeR

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
mdlphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys... I am trying to layout a studio to use for portraits...

So far I have a background stand and am using black cloth as a background. I also have two monolights, one I am using as a main/key light and the other as a fill light.

I am planning to get a third strobe/flash to use as a separation light... Do you think that a simple and inexpensive Speedlight would work for this or should I get a third monolight?

And if a speedlight will do the job... What kind of diffuser should I use to start with? Snoot? Barn Doors? Softbox?

Also should I look at illuminating the BG or the back of the subject?

I know there are choices... But which way do you think I should go to begin with?

Here is a drawing of my current set up.

Studio%20Layout.jpg

First off, the Fill light is really acting as a second light source...it needs to be moved to right next to the camera,at camera height, and aimed straight ahead t the subject. What you've diagrammed is a cross-lighting setup,and although it lives on the internet, and in Canon multi-flash literature, the diagram above demonstrates a bad set-up. Try seaching Google using the term on-axis fill lighting. Chuck Gardner has a major issue with the above diagram, and the way Canon's own literature tells people to set up multi-speedlight flash as shown above. The lighting effect is competing shadows!

Second...yes, a speedlight can work as a separation or hair light. A fabric wrap, like the Honl brand ones, or a DIY wrap aka "snoot" or a grid, made of drinking straws and tape, can work. So can a mostly-closed-down refelecting umbrella, into which the flash is shot.

Third, yes, a speedlight can also be used by firing it at the backdrop, and creating interesting patterns of light, or graduated lighting effects.

In between speedlight and monolight---have you seen the Morris Company's small,inexpensive strobe flash units??? Some are as little as $40,and fit into standard Shop light clamp-on type 110 volt household sockets...

Hey Derrel, do you have a link to those strobes?

Thanks again Darrel. As always you are a font of information.

I will definitely look into/research on-axis fill lighting as you suggested. suggested.

In between speedlight and monolight---have you seen the Morris Company's small,inexpensive strobe flash units??? Some are as little as $40,and fit into standard Shop light clamp-on type 110 volt household sockets...

Is this the same as what you are reffering to??? OPUS PRO 40AC FLASH MASTER SLAVE W/SYNC #777032003360 - Henry's best camera store in Canada

To expand on what Derrell was saying about on-axis fill. Think of your main/key light as the one that creates the light (and thus shadows) on your subject. You want this one off axis, so that it does create some shadows...giving your subject depth etc.

The roll of the fill light, is just to 'fill in' the shadows....not to create it's own shadows. So by putting your fill light on-axis (close to the camera), you are essentially lighting the whole scene. So you are making the lit areas brighter, but you are also adding light to the shadow areas, which weren't getting any light from the key.

So by controlling the power & position of the main & fill lights, you can control the ratio between the lit areas and the shadow areas on your model. Look up portrait lighting ratios for more info.

As for creating separation...you can do it by putting light on the backdrop, by adding an accent light or a hair light...or just some of the above.
I tried using a small flash with my monolights, but the difference in recharge rates drove me crazy. So if you do get something cheap/small, I'd suggest making sure that it has a decent recycle time...other wise you end up waiting after each shot.

Last edited:
Hey Derrel, do you have a link to those strobes?

The Morris Company has been manufacturing low-priced photography lighting gear for decades.

here is a web site that shows a bunch of their products. The "AC slave" line with the threaded, household lightbulb bases has several variations. The beauty is its low cost of around $50 or so, plus small size, and the ability to run off of a household light socket!

In a garage-type situation, these can create an overhead hair light right from the overhead light sockets. Work with clamp/shop light fixtures, etc.

Morris Camera Flash Reviews | Best Morris Camera Flash | Morris Camera Flashes

Home - The Morris Company

Most reactions

Back