My sweet girl

Designer said:
When someone refers to "flat light" they are talking about the fact that the light does not produce enough shadow, most probably because it is too near the camera position. Good modeling light will cast some shadows and therefore yield more definition to the contours of the face.

We are not talking about the model's features nor the skin color.

Move the light around some to gain definition. Find the place where the light IMPROVES the image.

Photographers need to understand light.

I see, thanks! I'll try again!

Designer said:
When someone refers to "flat light" they are talking about the fact that the light does not produce enough shadow, most probably because it is too near the camera position. Good modeling light will cast some shadows and therefore yield more definition to the contours of the face.

We are not talking about the model's features nor the skin color.

Move the light around some to gain definition. Find the place where the light IMPROVES the image.

Photographers need to understand light.

I see, thanks! I'll try again!

Designer is right. No matter what light you use, you need to understand it, and use it to your advantage.

Here is a good visual between flat lighting, and not so flat lighting.......

Flat.

5581269772_c39b3cf584.jpg

Not so flat.

5583462291_f4c69f1a18.jpg

Granted these shots aren't perfect.... they were jsut an exercise in light and boredom for me a while ago...... but it shows the concept. Shadows can add much deserved depth and dimension. They are your friend! :D

Stradawhovious said:
Designer is right. No matter what light you use, you need to understand it, and use it to your advantage.

Here is a good visual between flat lighting, and not so flat lighting.......

Flat.

Not so flat.

Granted these shots aren't perfect.... they were jsut an exercise in light and boredom for me a while ago...... but it shows the concept. Shadows can add much deserved depth and dimension. They are your friend! :D

Umbrella vs softbox?

First one has a fill light camera right and low down. Catchlights do suggest brolly in #1 and softbox in #2 as keys, in more or less the same position.

Ah. Yeah it just looked like umbrellas were used because of the light spillage on the background in the first as opposed to the more directional light in the second.

Actually I am eagerly waiting for Stradawhovious to tell me I am smoking crack and the lighting is done with candles in completely other places ;)

Actually I am eagerly waiting for Stradawhovious to tell me I am smoking crack and the lighting is done with candles in completely other places ;)

You're smoking crack. The lighting was done with candles, and in completely other places.

Actually, the first was a brolly as the key camera left and a silver reflector camera right low. Second was umbrella camera left as a key (hadn't moved from the first one), reflector camera right in a much diferent position (to lessen the amount of light it kicked back and eliminate the catchlight) with a bare speedlight behind for rim lighting.

You were pretty much spot on.

Yay! It's all there in the eyes. Well, all the lights in FRONT of the subject are there in the eyes. Totally missed the rim light.

I'm a natural light lady....I don't know the first thing about studio lighting...and don't plan on using it anytime soon as I have no studio.

christen2484 said:
I'm a natural light lady....I don't know the first thing about studio lighting...and don't plan on using it anytime soon as I have no studio.

You definitely don't need a studio to use off camera flash

You can make the sun flat, harsh, or anywhere in between by selecting your location, time of day, and using an improvised reflector like some guy in a white shirt standing just out of frame.

Doesn't matter. Light is light. It all pretty much reacts the same, but "studio" lighting is easier to control. With natural light its all about how much you understand about it, and how you use it.

As far as a studio space...... The blue behind the kid's head is curtains in my dining room. If you look closely, you can see the white window frame. ;)

I'd have to win the lottery to afford a studio space, and even then I wouldn't need it with what I'm doing photo wise. :)

O.K., there are ways to modify natural light as well. considering "natural light" comes in a wide range of power from direct sunlight to a candle, and everything in between. Nevertheless, a good photographer will often "modify" what light is available either by partial shading, reflecting, or a combination of the two.

so here's your next assignment: Get (make) a couple of reflectors (foamcore works for white, aluminum foil works for silver, and I think you can find other materials to modify the light even more. Position your model near a window. position a reflector somewhere opposite the window. Shoot away. move the different objects, inlcuding the camera, to vary the light falling on your model. Shoot some more. post your new results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back