My terrible pictures of a redtailed hawk (I think)

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The doubts are whether or not I've correctly identified the animal. I know the pictures are bad. He was high up and this is almost a 100% crop of an 18mp image. Taken with the 70-300 fully zoomed in on my rebel.

Not proud of the shots but thought I'd share a beautiful bird - he/she was BIG!

First time posting in this board. Sorry that I goofed the exposure and (kinda) focus... (EDIT: I should have used a narrower aperture/higher f-number.. doh)

redtailedhawk2.jpg

redtailedhawk.jpg

Last edited:
I really like them, looking right at you. . .Can I ask how you like the 70-300mm lens??

I really like them, looking right at you. . .Can I ask how you like the 70-300mm lens??

I think it's soft when zoomed in fully... but I'm a newbie. Also I can't really claim that since I've ONLY used it hand held so far (no tripod).

It's nice to be able to zoom in a ton though :)

EDIT: Oh and the Auto Focus is INSANELY fast when I use my 9-point method on my camera.

EDIT AGAIN: here's a shot zoomed in all the way, handheld. f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/400 sec exposure time.
Cropped a little off the top and left.

flamingo.jpg

And here's a 100% crop to show detail, not bad for a crop sensor.
flamingocrop.jpg

Last edited:
I have taken a ton of shots with this lens, both hand held and with a tripod. The tripod makes a big difference for me. I do not have a lens hood, and I have a lot of difficulty with this lens on cloudy days and very bright days. I try not to zoom all the way...until I get better at this, I struggle. The IS is noisy and seems to always be working. I use the tripod as much as possible just to avoid the IS.

I am getting better at moon shots though, for that kind of shot, I like the lens. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back