My Turn to Ask - Which Nikon DSLR for photography n00b? :)

TopLeftPixel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I am (still) looking for an entry-level Nikon DSLR that's suitable for my skills/usage. I am narrowing it down to Nikon because I have manual Nikon lenses that I can use on the DSLR (thread re: my manual lenses HERE). Anyway, some facts:

- entry level photographer (although I am very comfortable with taking photos in general and using my P&S - but then again they are pretty straight forward to use :lol:). I'm also familiar with Photoshop.

- main usage: mainly taking photos of family, friends and my dog! Also scenic photography for when I travel.

- budget: a few hundred dollars. I am/will be on the lookout for Nikon sales over the next little while... I am really ready to purchase!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Even though there was some good info on the other thread, for your budget, look for a used D70. Keep in mind that the 35mm lens will no longer be a wide angle, more like a standard and the 50mm's will look like a short telephoto.

You sacrifice a lot of the DSLR's features by using old lenses. Therefore buy the cheapest i.e best deal Nikon body you can off eBay or Craigslist.

This article covers generalities. To figure out if any particular combo works, you'll have to read your manuals carefully or, if you're in the USA, ask Nikon at (800) NIKON-UX (digital) or (800) NIKON-US (film).
Nikon System Compatibility

Well a D40/D60 can be had for less or around $300'ish. And they will allow you to mount pre-Ai lenses along with any Ai or Ais lenses you may have. Of course they will all be manual focus with camera on manual. And won't meter so will have to guessimate exposure. Not a big deal as I usually never have to shoot more than 2 or 3 test shots to dial in exposure.

If you have older manual focusing lenses, one of the Baby Nikons, as I call them, would be a good low-cost choice. I would rather have a used D40 than a used D70 or D70s....the D40 and D60 are better cameras...the D40 has the high-speed, regular flash advantage that very,very few cameras have! THe D40x does not allow the same ultra-speed flash, but is 10MP and affordable. Same with the D60...very affordable on the used market.

If you have older manual focusing lenses, one of the Baby Nikons, as I call them, would be a good low-cost choice. I would rather have a used D40 than a used D70 or D70s....the D40 and D60 are better cameras...the D40 has the high-speed, regular flash advantage that very,very few cameras have! THe D40x does not allow the same ultra-speed flash, but is 10MP and affordable. Same with the D60...very affordable on the used market.

That reminds me. I was browsing the Fred Miranda forums a few weeks ago, and some guy called the D70s "the best high-speed flash sync camera of all time":

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
As long as the flash isn't talking to the camera (Nikon dedicated flashes) it will sync at all speeds. IMHO the best high-speed flash sync camera of all time. I bought 2 of them.
[/FONT]

2869086541_240f610163_z.jpg

thread: Re-discovering the D70s - FM Forums

Is the D70s the only Nikon body that will flash sync at all speeds when used with non-Nikon-dedicated flashes? If not, how can it be "the best"?

Last edited:
A better link
Manual lenses on AF Nikon cameras © 2004 KenRockwell.com

"Manual focus lenses don't do much on modern autofocus (AF) Nikons. It's not worth the effort. I gave up and bought all AF lenses for my AF cameras. All Nikon digital SLRs are AF. Manual focus lenses were designed for the manual focus cameras popular up until 20 years ago.
To do anything at all on an AF body the manual lens must be AI, AI-s or AI converted. This covers all lenses made since about 1977. More details are on my Nikon Lens Technology page.​
This is a general guide. Ignore me and go read the instruction manual for your particular AF camera very carefully to learn what really happens with your specific camera and lenses.​
Only a couple of the very newest Nikons do anything with manual lenses...."

I'm not a Nikon user so I do not know Nikon limitations in using old lenses (on Canon I have light metering also with manual lenses). However, if you plan to use manual focus lenses, be sure your camera has a good viewfinder even if you have green dot help. This could be a good reason to choose an older but more pro camera instead of the most basic beginner cameras.

I see the D70 suggestion and one-up it: I don't know how much exactly is "a few hundred dollars" to you, but i highly recommend being on the lookout for a used D90. Both used and new prices are bound to fall as people drool over the D7000. If you can afford one, it is really worth it over a D70. The D70 was good and you will take great photos with one, but the D90 is miles better in pretty much every department, will be friendlier to use and easier to live with.

I second Tasmaster, the D90 is a great camera, it's a bit more expensive than the mentioned D40 for example, but you'll quicky outgrow those entry-level models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back