My Version of the famous Windows XP background

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Though may not be as nice, this is what it is...

5829418180_4acf1ffcd3_b.jpg

seems like the horizon is right through the center, maybe could have framed a little higher or lower? I also think it may be a little underexposed. Although isn't it better to see a picture that you took on as your wallpaper than some stock photo from microsoft? Just my cent and half.

I actually like the composition a lot... the horizon is NOT actually in the center, and besides, that rule bugs me to begin with :)

I do agree it's a little underexposed though, if you shot this in raw I think some adjustments to the tone curve to make it a little more contrasty could really make it pop.

Yeah, this was shot JPEG...I had to darken it to bring out the clouds...now I'll dodge the bottom half...the horizon is just a smidgen about the center...but I was adding room for the clouds as well...

Thank you for your insights, appreciated!

I simply love the idea of improving upon the XP wallpaper! That would sort of make a fun contest, seeing how different people make their own versions....

Anyway, I agree that it's a bit low in contrast. Also, if you could find some more of those tractor eggs and line them up in a nice, weird triangle across the frame, somehow, I think I would like that. But then again, this is your version of the wallpaper :p How much above the ground did you take the shot, if I may ask?

Okay here is the edit (dodged lower half of frame):

5833461203_289ac7ebf4_z.jpg

Okay, so too much going at work to focus on this edit properly. A client was wondering if I could touch up an old photo of her dad in the Air Force, so I've been doing that as well. Also, teaching basic computer skills, keeping the network useable, meeting with the bosses, helping clients develop resumes, backing up data (since I start my week vacation tomorrow), our projector just arrived from being repaired so am testing it, getting things in order for the staff while in my absence...so if someone else would like to work on this, as always, my photos are VERY open for editing, not only does it help me out to see what could be done better, it helps you learn editing skills. I don't have the outernet at home, so I won't be on much, if at all until next Thursday. It'll be very exciting to see all the stuff between now and then that I missed out on.

@Compaq - I was 5'11" off of ground (standing)...

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, that looks much better. Of course, if the cloud God was on your side, that would also greatly improve it, imho :) The house back there is slightly distracting once I've found it :p You've done something with the sky as well, more contrast there.

Another tip I got from a friend once, is to, when shooting such fields and stuff, is to lower your camera to the ground and take the shot from that low perspective. Some times a perspective that we (humans) aren't used to having can make an image very interesting. I'm not saying it's an absolute rule, but perhaps something to remember and take one extra shot :)

Anyway, I think ^^ is improved!

Well, that is certainly some sage advice and one I plan on taking to heart. As a side effect of my vacation, I will be having uber-amounts of time to photo stuff...so that'll be the vacation for me. State government shutdown at the end of the month may make me lose my job temporarily, so I won't be going to take more ghost photos in Alexandria, Minnesota after-all...I'll stick around Bemidji and just take shots here, they have more sculptures on the walk, so I'll try to get some nice ones of those as well...

But,but,but...I thought the most common screen background XP users saw was a roughly cobalt blue colored screen, with lots and lots of overlayed text???

Yes, I remember that...will do that too then...or no..no I won't...even I won't stoop to Microsoft's level (as he types inside of a Windows OS)...

I had to bring this up. I've done my own version this background :p I don't like it much.. :(

Kornåker vol2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back