My visit to the wind farm

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This trip to St. Leon, Manitoba, was inspired by a photo by tb2. (Yes, a single photo by a fellow poster made me drive 150 km and back. Hopefully TPF will appreciate my devotion and send me a gas card :D)

Last edited:
This wind farm is the first of its kind in Manitoba and one of the largest wind energy developments in Canada. There are sixty three 220-tonne wind turbines here, each 80 metres tall with a rotor diameter of 82 metres, capable of powering approximately 41,000 homes.

Below is an image captured with a wide-angle lens I'm testing. If you consider that the rotor diameter is actually larger than the turbine's height, there's some pretty noticeable distortion here, no?

Last edited:
really like them.. all! #2 if i really had to chose one.

Ha! yeap, a good amount of distortion there. almost looks like the rotor blades are laying horizontal.

First was my favorite, but all very neat. Nice subject and great lighting.

The distortion is wild. My god I just noticed the car. Good lord those things are big.

What lens were you using?

What lens were you using?
Sigma 10-20. Don't know if I like it or not yet. The AF seems exasperatingly slow in any lighting. The colour rendition is stunning, though. I'll keep testing it.

Thanks everybody for your comments!

Gorgeous shots! I love my 10-20 - funny I've never used the AF on it! :lol:

Love my 10-20 too. AF is very fast on mine.

Great pix -- especially #1.

Thanks, guys! I had read that the 10-20 had a super-fast autofocus, but I've found myself losing lots of time (even a full minute!) waiting for this thing to focus. Of course you're not going to shoot birds or bugs with this one, so it's not that I've been missing out on photo opps, but still...

Maybe my copy is bad and I just need to change it for a good one.

I'd be rather proud of #1 had I taken it myself. It's well composed, well exposed, has nice colors, and the subject is appealing/interesting. It stands out from the rest clearly as the best shot, to my eye. I find the great planes fascinating, so maybe that's part of why I am partial to it. Nicely done.

nice pics love it..

Beautiful shots! The first and second are my faves. Good for you, driving all that way to get shots!!

Thanks, Antarctican. I rarely ever travel to shoot something specific, so this was an exception. (I'm more of an "image hunter" :)... I enjoy searching for photo opportunities out there almost as much as the actual shooting.)

Wasn't able to peruse the gallery as much this weekend because SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED said the yard needed tending.

I've been missing lots of great posts! Federico, outstanding.

Tough to pick one above the others, but if pressed, numero uno is it.

Most reactions

Back