My wedding photographer......a friend? bad idea....Need advise as well

IvyJade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ivyjade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, my wedding came about, and there was no way I could do it myself, so I asked a friend who loved photography (or so I thought) to take photos of the occasion for me. I had a very small wedding, no bridal portraits, nothing. The main thing was just capturing the essence of the occasion as I would. The main parts as well as everything else.

Well, we met for lunch, me, my hubby, and him and went over the contract as well as what I was ideally looking for. We liked the same things and I felt he would understand what I wanted.

He charged me $650.00 for the shooting and proof book as well as $100 for the DVD. I know NOW it was too much for what I got, which wasn't much.

Well, wedding done, he video'd and shot it. He was very anal about getting the money because he was going to rent a D300 also. I should have known that is he didn't have money for that outside of mine, I should have second guessed it.

Well, weeks passed, emails were sent as well as IM messages. first excuse was being bombarded with work and school. I ultimately (after SEVERAL emails) offered to just give me my pictures and my money back for the DVD and he declined.

Ultimately, it took me almost 3 months to get my proof book. There was really NO point in putting the announcement in the paper. Well, being fairly knowledgeable about photos, I noticed the photos were very dark and not up close. He told me it was b/c of the photo book itself and it would look better once it's blown up. Yet, how am I suppose to choose if I can't SEE THEM. Also, there was about 40 photos of some friends of mine eating, messing around etc, nothing to do with my wedding. It was ultimately b/c he was more interested in what they were doing. He stated it was the end of the wedding, then WHY did he feel the need to take photos of people I am always around??

Once my hubby got involved (guess I was too nice), they finally came to agreement of just giving us the photos and be done with it. We wanted what we paid for as well as the ONCE IN a LIFETIME thing we would never be able to get back...EVER.

It took about two weeks to get the flashdrive. All the photos are there, I do not feel there was any editing or anything done to them. So I paid WAY too much for him to take photos. NEVER AGAIN.

MY Question is: Where do you suggest going for prints???? I'm going to end up having to edit them and correct them myself and then print them. Possibly for Xmas gifts.

Any suggestions?

well for consumer level quality prints I suggest
ezprints.com
mpix.com

ezprints is the lab smugmug uses, and mpix is connected with miller labs (I think). Both are quite good, and generally have quality customer service.

well for consumer level quality prints I suggest
ezprints.com
mpix.com

ezprints is the lab smugmug uses, and mpix is connected with miller labs (I think). Both are quite good, and generally have quality customer service.

Thank you so much for the advice, I will look into them both.....

I agree with mike E
If you have one special one, you could post it and send the full res file to anyone who whats to take a crack at some post on it.
You never know what might become of it.

Thats the biggest mistake people make with wedding photography - choosing an ameture.

I use Michiganphoto.com (AMAZING work!) and you dont have to live in MI or anything. They use a ROES system.

Most reactions

Back