My wife is going to kill me...

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a used Canon EOS 10s from B&H (I paid $120, hope I didn't get ripped off, seems like a good price though after some googling; condition rating was 9 - Shows signs of use, but very clean).

I've been wanting to get back into film for a while now, and I saw this as my chance. Picked up some film & batteries too. I guess now I'm going to have to drop a few bucks at the florist too.

:lol:, be careful those flowers could easily surpass the cost of that camera.
Yeah...Tell me about it. lol

It shouldn't be here till the end of next week (I got the cheap shipping), so I still have some time to find something nice for her.

OlllllllllO , congrats on the purchase. Any chance you could come back and let us know how well the stated condition of "9" turns out, when you have it in your hands ? Ive ordered new gear from B&H several times and I find them excellent. I've always received exactly what I ordered, packed well, and on time. I too have my eye on a used film camera "9" condition, but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet. So Id love to hear your assessment of yours. Anyway I usually tell my wife long before the package arrives. I like to have that discussion out of the way, so I can enjoy myself opening the box.:mrgreen:

Will do. I've bought lots of new stuff from B&H too, but this is my first used purchase.

Well, she wasn't nearly as mad as I thought she'd be...she did come home with 3 pairs of new shoes though. lol.

The camera came in today. Now I understand why people call the 350D a toy - this camera is substantially larger.

The condition rating of 9 turned out to be very nice. :) Cosmetically, there is very little wear - a few scuff marks here & there, but you have to look hard for them. The rubberized grip area has some wear, but it's pretty minor.
Minor wear on the hotshoe, but that's to be expected I guess.
None of the buttons look worn and their labels still look brand new.
The top LCD looks brand new too.
The flash works fine (it's a lot bigger than the flash on the XT too).
Came with a new battery (didn't expect that), didn't come with a body cap or strap (didn't expect it to, but I hoped it would).

Some minor inconveniences... It doesn't remember your settings when you switch between modes. If you're in Av and set the aperture to 1.4 then switch to Tv, then back to Av the aperture gets reset to 5.6 (defaults are a shutter speed of 1/125 and aperture of f/5.6).
If you have the timer or remote on it reverts to single shot when you turn the camera off then back on. That might actually help me - I have a bad habit of forgetting to switch it back to single shot.

I've been having computer problems (blue screen of death...:grumpy:), so I had to switch back to an older computer... I'll get some pictures up once I get photoshop (I hope this computer can run it...) installed.

Good to hear you received what you ordered. Just wondering, did they (B&H) at least seal the camera in a plastic bag or something since they didn't have a body cap in place? Tape over the mount maybe ??? Anyway thanks for coming back to let us know, be looking to see some results.

I've been having computer problems lately, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

Yes, they (B&H) sealed the camera in a plastic bag.

The only negative thing to report is that the camera seems to be having some flash sync issues. All pictures taken without the flash are fine, but of those taken with it some seem to not be synced properly (1/2 - 1/4 of the frame is black from the shutter).

Not sure how costly of a flaw this is, but it sure can be annoying...

OK, a short re-cap on what a condition rating of 9 gets you on used gear at B&H...

Cosmetically it's perfect. A little dust in the viewfinder, but that's probably unavoidable.

Mechanically... I'm having issues. Flash sync isn't working like it should. I don't don't know enough about this stuff to say exactly what the problem is, but I suspect that the flash is getting old/worn out (I don't think the shutter is at fault).

I don't know what extent they (B&H) test a camera to when determining the condition rating, but I think it's mostly visual inspection.

For the price I paid, I'm still happy with it.

OK, a short re-cap on what a condition rating of 9 gets you on used gear at B&H...

Cosmetically it's perfect. A little dust in the viewfinder, but that's probably unavoidable.

Mechanically... I'm having issues. Flash sync isn't working like it should. I don't don't know enough about this stuff to say exactly what the problem is, but I suspect that the flash is getting old/worn out (I don't think the shutter is at fault).

I don't know what extent they (B&H) test a camera to when determining the condition rating, but I think it's mostly visual inspection.

For the price I paid, I'm still happy with it.

For those photos, are you shooting at a high shutter speed?

For those photos, are you shooting at a high shutter speed?

The photos in question were all taken at 1/125 (that's the max flash sync speed for this camera). Do you think a slower shutter speed would help?

-EDIT-

Upon further review, it is the shutter that's bad - the flash works fine (when both curtains open... I'm assuming that the flash doesn't fire until the rear curtain opens, and if it doesn't open the flash just doesn't fire). The shutter had some kind of residue on it, I cleaned it off with MEK (a solvent, similar to acetone) on a Q-Tip. It seems to work fine (for a while) after that, but I still want to get it fixed.

In a few weeks I'll take it to the shop and see if they can fix it (I hear that that can be pretty expensive, hopefully it won't be too bad).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back