My woodworking shop is now set up.

OK, I'm just short of two things here, space and talent. With those in place I'd be right there with you...

Hey Jedo,

20 inch planer, 10 inch jointer, fixed bed mortiser, .... I think your shop is an order or two above mine:drool:

I have access to the really big machines at school though. I'll be there for the second year of the diploma program next year and after that hope to secure a part time teaching/mentoring position with them.

I don't mind little projects (my daughter wants some barbie furniture:p) but like you I really enjoy making furniture. My wife wants a house full of craftsman styled stuff - Living room, family room, dinning room and four bedrooms. I currently have a 1000 bf 9/4 old growth douglas fir that needs to be changed into sawdust and some patio furniture. I find turning very relaxing, but it sure can fill up a shop with chips in a hurry. I only need just so many salad bowls though. I'll be busy for a while getting through the honey do list. I really don't get turned on by kitchen/bathroom cabs but that is a ready source of income, especially custom upgrades in older homes.

Very common woods around from this region are maple, although nicely figured bird's eye and curly is expensive, birch, poplar, pine and cedar. Easily available are other traditional species like oak, walnut, butternut, ...etc A local supplier can get anything from anywhere. He is a rare resource for a little place like here. So far my favorite is maple because it's abundant and inexpensive and I like the challenge of working with it. Of course birch is always a pleasure, kinda like a chameleon of woods.

Are you a hobby ww or is it your bread and butter? I'm strictly an amateur ww myself.

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back