Name this bird?

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ran across this guy/gal on the balcony yesterday and couldn't place it.

Taken in Dallas Texas if that helps.

Last edited:
My field guide is for birds of the Carolinas, but I would hazard a guess that it is a Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) if it is ~6" head to tail. Slightly larger at ~9" is the Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus).

In my backyard.....

Male

Female

Hmm, you could be right ... I am not that familiar with southern birds.

I couldn't tell ya either, I'm originally from West Texas and trees and woodpeckers is the last thing you think of when you think West Texas lol

I've never actually SEEN a ladderback, so I can't really say for certain, but it doesn't look like what I'm seeing listed for them. I'd say it's a female Downy. They have that white streak on the back and the short little bill.
I could be wrong, but I don't *think* the ladderback has the white streak on the back, and from the photos above, that bill looks a little short. Plus, I think the Ladderback--if it doesn't have red on its crown--seems to have more of a black crest than just a streak. I can't tell for sure, but this one doesn't *look* like it's got all that much black on its crown.

Look here and then search the same site for Ladderback Woodpecker and compare.

My field guide is for birds of the Carolinas, but I would hazard a guess that it is a Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) if it is ~6" head to tail. Slightly larger at ~9" is the Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus).

In my backyard.....

Male

Female

The Hairy Woodpecker also has a much longer bill than this one. If it looks like the photos above, but its bill is about as long as its head, it's likely a Hairy Woodpecker.

This dude/dudett is/was 6-7" tops.

Anyhow, s/he does seem to resemble a Downy Woodpecker more.

Most reactions

Back