Nascar Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the Getty page from the race. Please point out what is a good photo. I'm curious. Going out shooting f9/ 1/2000th front 3/4 is boring. Gotta be different.

Image Communications, Archive sports Images, and Photography | IMAGE Communications

Click on galleries home page, there is some motorsports there. All shot on film.

Not a big fan of the motorsports stuff. The crops don't work and all the images are similar. I don't see any creativity. Thanks for sharing.

Well I expected nothing less than glowing praise from you (being sarcastic) The difference between what I shoot and what you shoot, is that I do care about the images I produce, every single one of them. Your statement about no one caring is complete BS, what it says is that as a photographer you don't care because you don't understand what it's like to work as a professional.

What kind of background do you have as a photographer? Your profile says nothing, which says to me that you are probably about 20 years old, have an above average knowledge of how light works, and borrow the lenses that you need to shoot with, and you got a credential because you offered to work for little money and produce photos that no one cares about. My guess is that you're not shooting for any sponsors but for a group of photographers that is, and if they sell one of your shots you make money. It's also digital, why wouldn't you just shoot that really nice silhouette anyway, what did you have to lose. Great photographers never pass on a great shot, even for just themselves.

As you have already critiqued my work, tell me how would you have cropped any of them differently? Yes they look similar, commercial site. As for being creative, well you already know everything about that, but who cares people don't want to see that anyway.

If you look at all the amazing motorsport shots, they are artistic, the main reason, those photographers know how to shoot them. it's ok to admit that you haven't figured that part out yet, that comes with experience and being able to see them in the first place.

Go to the Getty page from the race. Please point out what is a good photo. I'm curious. Going out shooting f9/ 1/2000th front 3/4 is boring. Gotta be different.

I said right off the bat that at least you were looking around for different angles, and that's the key to getting better. The majority of what you posted was the same thing and average race fan could have shot with a pre-race pit pass. There is nothing wrong with that, just don't try and tell me it's what the corporate people want to see.

I did like you said and went though a couple hundred Getty shots from Pocono, they all look good to me, a nice variety of action, sponsor stuff, artistic, you know the kind of thing that people like to look at. Maybe you could post some additional images from the race, I'm assuming that the ones you posted were your best, so maybe the seconds would be ok, you know the kind that the sponsors want to see?

I'm not even going to bother replying to this rant. You are wrong on so many levels. You have just shown your @ss and that you can't take critiscm.

I will say that I took 1100 photos and distributed 352 to clients. If you have a 100% keep rate, my hats off to you.

Why not post some additional pics and prove me wrong. Are the ones you posted your best? When someone who has shown me nothing, won't elaborate on their experience and background in photography tells me that I don't know how to crop and all my images look the same, then yes I do like to have a little more clarification.

You won't bother answering any of the questions because you know that I am not far off the mark.

Again you are an amateur. No one ever or should never post their 5 star photos on Facebook, Twitter or any other forum.

You and your ego are too much for me.

Honestly leave the thread.

I should apologize to you for suggesting that you are only 20 years old. I expect that you must be in your late 20's or 30's with hopes of becoming a full time professional photographer one day, but are working full time doing something else to pay the bills. I know that I am correct that you not the most experienced photographer and are still learning. I have been doing this for close to 40 years now and at times I do get my back up and as a result my messages become too personal when they shouldn't be.

My keep rate is usually around 85%, same as it was when I shot film and manual focused.

Again you are an amateur. No one ever or should never post their 5 star photos on Facebook, Twitter or any other forum.

You and your ego are too much for me.

Honestly leave the thread.

Tell you what, go back on to my site, have a look at some of the other galleries and maybe read my bio, then call me an amateur. I had offered up an apology, in the message just before this one. I suspected that you wouldn't post any other images. I think you have a overrated opinion of just how good you think you are. I can back my ego up every time I pick up a camera. I don't worry about what I post on this forum. I have looked back at several of your previous threads and it has painted a very clear picture of your understanding and skills as a photographer. There is nothing wrong with admitting your still learning.

Forgot to add one thing. You call me an amateur because no one should never ever post their 5 star photos. Maybe you should consider watermarking the "5 star" photos on your web site. A simple right click is all it takes for anyone to take those. You have some nice images on your site.

40 years and you are justifying your self to a 20 yr old kid online? Seriously when you loose your ego let me know. You are acting like a baby not a professional.

I never said I was Joe McNally. Everyone has something to learn. Who doesn't besides you.

You reply to each comment like you are in 5th grade. You have stalked all my previous threads. I don't see anything on your site that says wow. I wont even look at your site again, not worth my time. With all your knowledge and experience that's pathetic if you ask me. If that's your best work for 40 years sell all your gear, it's the most money you'll make in photo!

they don't look much different than the ones I got when I went to the races. Does this mean I should get some credentials too?

Nice shots, but yeah...not much different than fan shots with nice gear.

*shrugs*

Here are a few of mine. I have a few thousand, most still unprocessed and unsorted. lol.

Not saying mine are the chit...just using them to echo my point. I did not have access to the pits so I could not get close up shots as you did. I know nothing of nascar/motorsports photography...these are just shots of a semi-pro photog on vacation that knows how to use a camera. I think the photos make that statement more than my words do. So you can see why others might say that about your shots as well. They seem fan based not "hired pro" based. To me anyways...and I'm guessing a few others.

966549_665809763432692_206540357_o.jpg

976023_665800906766911_455437522_o.jpg

964969_665412466805755_919042044_o.jpg

922517_665427510137584_1716483958_o.jpg

914094_665415580138777_401579894_o.jpg

Those are good. I have no issue with those. I'd submit those to our companies gallery.

The second one of Gordon not so much but they are fine.

Clean sharp properly exposed photos is what people want. In the garages clean shots of the driver the crew chief interactions and some tight photos like the shocks for Greg Biffle are always nice.

Last edited:
Those are good. I have no issue with those. I'd submit those to our companies gallery.

The second one of Gordon not so much but they are fine.

Clean sharp properly exposed photos is what people want. In the garages clean shots of the driver the crew chief interactions and some tight photos like the shocks for Greg Biffle are always nice.

I was far away at 400mm, and even then some were heavy crops...but I'm happy. ;-)

The hard part, as with any photography, is shooting what the client wants, not what we want, or what we think others want. People are just so damn varied in tasted, it drives me bonkers. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back