Nascar Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya you learned from your experience, but learning that skill is as important as any other, because at some point someone at a track is going to ask for a portrait and it really doesn't sound too good saying "but I don't know how to shoot portraits" Seriously you should consider taking a course and get a feel for how to use use light, and understand light, being able to shoot basic head shots quickly is a benefit.

The 1Dx is a great, I had the option last year of spending $8k on that or 4K on a 5D mklll, and being as the only real difference is fps, I'd rather spend half, as the fps isn't something I've been concerned about. Why wouldn't I know anything about post production? Most of my events require images being sent out with a very short time after shooting, mind you I try and get it right in the camera so that all is required is a few minor changes, a crop, colour correction if necessary, that's all.

I don't think I called you a professional I may have said pro/am which is accurate. Professional teacher and Amateur photographer, right?

The list of reasons as to why I'm not a pro are pretty much all the attributes of being a professional photographer, I just don't understand how you can't see that.

Moderators - sorry to have this tangent. Please feel free to close this thread anytime. Is there a way I can block imagemaker from future threads? He could be the biggest tool on this forum.

Ya they can lock the thread, Jason or John, feel free to shut this down. He has made his point, although I'm not sure what it is, perhaps it's just his 2 years of photography talking and his overall lack of experience and skill, his refusal to answer questions or back up his position on how he became an expert in my world, and his inability to recognize what working as a professional photographer is all about. Whatever point he has tried to make, It is lost in translation. The hamster in his head that drives the wheel is starved of oxygen and his random thoughts on how to not be professional by producing clean and evenly lit images seems lost on me. I will continue to try and get those clean and well lit images.

Im more comfortable with head shots now. I hope we have time to do some head shots in a few weeks for the ALMS event at Lime Rock. Last year at Pocono I met up with a guy who shoots NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, Boxing and Concerts. He never went to a race nor did he ever pan. A photographer is like being a Dr, there are many categories. Would a pro wedding photographer be able to shoot a sport? Maybe maybe not. Just because they can't do one thing doesnt mean they suck.

I agree about getting it right in camera - STILL LEARNING - so I can ftp right from photomechanic.

You implied that I know everything. Never said that.

The photos I posted are my one offs from the past two weekends. Just showing I was there and what I have been up to. If someone thought those were my 8 best from two weekends at a nascar event, then you are an idiot!

My photos are very similar to what Getty, AP, USA has, except I only shoot our clients not everyone. I submit very similar quality with some deviation. I get compliments from others so its motivating.

I stated many reasons why your work is not professional. Those reason's apply to your galleries.

Moderators - sorry to have this tangent. Please feel free to close this thread anytime. Is there a way I can block imagemaker from future threads? He could be the biggest tool on this forum.

Ya they can lock the thread, Jason or John, feel free to shut this down. He has made his point, although I'm not sure what it is, perhaps it's just his 2 years of photography talking and his overall lack of experience and skill, his refusal to answer questions or back up his position on how he became an expert in my world, and his inability to recognize what working as a professional photographer is all about. Whatever point he has tried to make, It is lost in translation. The hamster in his head that drives the wheel is starved of oxygen and his random thoughts on how to not be professional by producing clean and evenly lit images seems lost on me. I will continue to try and get those clean and well lit images.

Again never said I was an expert in your world. You think you are the god of photography. You are a joke to the profession.

I have had enough clients over the years that have hired me as a professional. I've had more photos published in books, magazines, used in tv and film, than you will in your lifetime. I shot NHL hockey 10 years for Reuters, worked for The Canadian Press and Associated Press, Getty, photos in Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, and a variety of magazines around the world. Was the Prime Minister of Canada's personal photographer(because they hire amateurs for this position) Covered eight Summer and Winter Olympic Games, four Pan American Games, four World Figure Skating Championships, World Indoor track and Field Championships, and shot Professional football for the past four decades. After 2 years of owning a camera you have me pegged, I have scammed all these people into believing I knew how shoot, and you in the span of two days figured me out.

My clients seem to like what I shoot.

Again never said I was an expert in your world. You think you are the god of photography. You are a joke to the profession.

I was given a shirt by a group of photographers that has "photo god" on it, so it's not just me, but thanks for that.

Thats a great resume but one thing is your attitude and personality is not professional. You come to forums and talk down to peoples work. I dont care who you are. People are learning and they ask for CC to get others opinions. I dont go on other threads and bash other people as if I want others to praise me.

Are you retired? What are you currently working on now? Can you post your most recent work and educate us all.

I figure people out pretty quick. Again I dont consider your work top notch professional. I dont care who your clients are. Canada is much different than the USA.

Maybe you have a good portfolio but your site isnt good work. It seems like a typical gallery of events - editorial content. Nothing says WOW with all your clients and experience.

I stated specific reasons why your work isnt professional. Can you critique my portfolio and state reason's.

Unfortunately, i am unable to close threads outside of the photo challenge section. I do think this thread has probably run its course though.

I have had enough clients over the years that have hired me as a professional. I've had more photos published in books, magazines, used in tv and film, than you will in your lifetime. I shot NHL hockey 10 years for Reuters, worked for The Canadian Press and Associated Press, Getty, photos in Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, and a variety of magazines around the world. Was the Prime Minister of Canada's personal photographer(because they hire amateurs for this position) Covered eight Summer and Winter Olympic Games, four Pan American Games, four World Figure Skating Championships, World Indoor track and Field Championships, and shot Professional football for the past four decades. After 2 years of owning a camera you have me pegged, I have scammed all these people into believing I knew how shoot, and you in the span of two days figured me out.

That resume says something to me. That something is that you obviously know how to work a camera and people wanna pay you for that skill. I haven't looked at your work and all that but that is a solid résumé IMO.

I'm nowhere near a pro. I'm a hobby photographer. Probably wont ever become pro.

Yes it has, and I would like to block him from future post. The guy is always negative. Hind sight is 20/20 and thats how he lives and works.

No not retired, taking a little time off after having a heart attack three weeks ago after putting in a 50 hour 3 day shoot. Resting up for more heart work in two weeks and then another 20 day shoot, a week after. Life of a freelancer, can't even rest after heart surgery, when the work is there it has to be done, I have no benefits to fall back on.

As I mentioned earlier I am still scanning old football for the archive. My web site is commercial, I post most things that are considered of historical value to the Canadian Football League, this is the only web site of it's kind with photos from 1959-2013. I posted some of my bio to give you and others a base line of my experience. This is something that you have not done, as you don't really have one, and yet you are very quick to make a judgement as to me personally without even knowing who I am. As far as your gut feeling on figuring people out quickly, you are about as far off the mark this time.

Go back to what I originally posted about your images, I did not say anything negative at all, I made an accurate observation, that was all, I complimented you on using different angles, showed that you were at least looking. You were the one that came back back with the "I'm credentialed" As if to say, "I got a pass, I'm important", which meant nothing to me as I was just looking at the photos you posted, nothing more and nothing less, isn't that why you posted them so people would comment? did you notice that only a couple of people took the time to say anything, and they weren't raving about them either.

You can keep preaching the "you're not professional" all you want, means nothing coming for an amateur with only 2 years of photographic experience.

That resume says something to me. That something is that you obviously know how to work a camera and people wanna pay you for that skill. I haven't looked at your work and all that but that is a solid résumé IMO.

I'm nowhere near a pro. I'm a hobby photographer. Probably wont ever become pro.

My web site address is in this thread somewhere, if you're interested in seeing what is considered the work of an amateur.

Anyone who says they are a professional photographer is a joke. There is not test, no standard, you dont need a degree to work in the field. Its an art form that artist use the word pro to justify themselves.

The word professional is used too often in this field. I know people who shoot on the side that do better work than full time shooters. A pro might be considered by one who makes 100% of their income through photography - yes hard to argue that in a financial sense.

Think of it this way Jackson Pollack is a famous artist - for what splatter paint? Then look at Monet and his work - amazing. Photography is an art and its how one person wants to portray to the public.

Anyone who says they are a professional photographer is a joke. There is not test, no standard, you dont need a degree to work in the field. Its an art form that artist use the word pro to justify themselves.

The word professional is used too often in this field. I know people who shoot on the side that do better work than full time shooters. A pro might be considered by one who makes 100% of their income through photography - yes hard to argue that in a financial sense.

Think of it this way Jackson Pollack is a famous artist - for what splatter paint? Then look at Monet and his work - amazing. Photography is an art and its how one person wants to portray to the public.

Jackson Pollock is a fantastic artist. He did more than just his famous "drip" paintings. His painting Lavender currently is the highest selling painting of all time I believe. "Dumb" or not, it's art. Look into Mondrian if you wanna see "dumb art"

I agree, but you see my point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back