Nature Portrait/Fashion (?) Session with my girlfriend Ashleigh

Derrel, I agree what you are saying man. But do you agree that horizontal will create a different mood on the photograph? Also, I am a zenfolio user. My first page has a slideshow and I hate putting a vertical photo because it doesnt look good. All my photos on the main page is horizontal for that reason. I do take a lot of portrait orientation though.

Usagani Photography - Denver, CO

With such a pretty model at your disposal, you should do both of yourselves a favor and research lighting, composition and posing. Not a bad start, but you will be happier if you can create more dynamics (lighting, composition and posing)

Be cognizant of small details that should be eliminated, such as the black bra (swim top). I realize some of the images were purposed with it, but several were not and is noticable.

I would also suggest more facial expressions. TBH, several look as though she just smelt a fart.

Turn your camera 90° more often with portraits. The D700 & 85mm is a lethal combo for portraits. :thumbsup:

Keep shooting and posting.

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
MAN,

v
e
r
t
i
c
a
l
!

Wow,so many shots where she is just "amputated", and instead of her lovely physique and clothing, we are "treated" to dull and uninspiring background...when she is standing upright...the camera ought to echo her body's orientation MOST of the time, except for situations when the setting/environment/background actually advances the photograph. In most of these, the background is innocuous, dull, and even downright boring. You had in front of the lens a vibrant, young,exciting model, outside during the loveliest season of the year. And you were holding the camera as if you were photographing the ocean, or a distant mountain range. ie...as if the SUBJECT were horizontal.

1,4,5,9,10,12,--ALL should have been verticals. All of them. On #13, you could have had her put her hands on the other tree, and made a very clever horizontal out of #13.

Shots #5 and #10 would have been awesome as verticals...as horizontals, they are very poorly-composed photos.

Thanks very much for your critiques guys, they will help immensely. Derrel, as you said, I am used to automotive photography, and it has been a tough change to transition to people. I'll try to consider the model more for the orientation of the photograph. I feel like I'll be able to transition well with more practice, however, and I will definitely take these tips into account.

As far as lighting is concerned, I really wanted to keep this shoot simple. I only wanted to use available light, and I am still very happy with the way they turned out given that. I do have speedlights, softboxes etc, but I didn't want to use them for this shoot.

We both did realize that her facial expression is nearly identical in every shot once we got home, haha. This was her first time ever stepping in front of a camera in this manner, so we will definitely pay more attention to that next time.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice!

You have way too many here to talk about in detail, so overall I actually do think your lighting works for the most part,and as has already been stated her facial expressions aren't the greatest in most of them. Not to fault her, it's not easy. The back lit shots are very dreamy and almost there, did you use a reflector on those ones? I would love to see a bit more on her face so it isn't washed out, like in #12. Agree with others about cropping and orientation. I think if you did a reshoot with these things in mind they would be excellent, you're not THAT far off IMO.

As far as lighting is concerned, I really wanted to keep this shoot simple. I only wanted to use available light, and I am still very happy with the way they turned out given that. I do have speedlights, softboxes etc, but I didn't want to use them for this shoot.
Fair enough, but you said you brought a reflector, add to that a hotshoe mounted flash and whah-lah, an instant cure of the doldrums of a forested photoshoot IMO. Be kind to your model and make her/them POP in the scene. BTW, I like to use flash. :biggrin:

Okay, so I'm not really a fan of the processing used on #4, but she has a lovely look about her. Using the RoT guideline, how about cropping? I only cropped to place her left eye on one of the intersecting points. Does it make more of an impact? You don't mention if editing your photo is OK or not, but I can remove it easily.

Original
i-SWWQVWx-L.jpg

Cropped edit
i-qNTDm7b-L.jpg

You have way too many here to talk about in detail, so overall I actually do think your lighting works for the most part,and as has already been stated her facial expressions aren't the greatest in most of them. Not to fault her, it's not easy. The back lit shots are very dreamy and almost there, did you use a reflector on those ones? I would love to see a bit more on her face so it isn't washed out, like in #12. Agree with others about cropping and orientation. I think if you did a reshoot with these things in mind they would be excellent, you're not THAT far off IMO.

i used a reflector on nearly every shot to give her face a little warmth. thanks for the cc!

Fair enough, but you said you brought a reflector, add to that a hotshoe mounted flash and whah-lah, an instant cure of the doldrums of a forested photoshoot IMO. Be kind to your model and make her/them POP in the scene. BTW, I like to use flash. :biggrin:

Okay, so I'm not really a fan of the processing used on #4, but she has a lovely look about her. Using the RoT guideline, how about cropping? I only cropped to place her left eye on one of the intersecting points. Does it make more of an impact? You don't mention if editing your photo is OK or not, but I can remove it easily.

Original
i-SWWQVWx-L.jpg

Cropped edit
i-qNTDm7b-L.jpg

i see what you mean. btw, it's fine to edit the photos, i don't mind. i will consider a flash for next time since it doesn't really add to the bulk of the equipment. definitely gave me a good amount to think about for the next shoot!

thanks again!

Most reactions

Back