SmallFry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.macdonaldfamilysingers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I've been looking at filters and polarizers recently. I think I bought my original polarizer on eBay for $10. I'm ready to look for something better. But, at the same time not thrilled about spending $200 on a Singh-Ray. Any thoughts or recommendations? Would something in the $200 range have shockingly better results?

For a ND would you all think a screw on filter beats a hand held card one? Might be more flexibility with a card, but concerned about quality.

Thank you all in advance. :)

For split nd and graduated, get a card. B&W makes good polarizer. Try to get a multicoated one.

I have a multi-coated Nikon circular polarizer that I'm very happy with (this one). It's a thin form factor, so works well for wide angles. In addition to good optical performance, Nikon CPs can accommodate a normal lens cap (most thin CPs will not).

As for ND, assuming you are referring to graduated ND, I can't really see how a screw-on filter could be anywhere nearly as useful as the sliding card type since you are forced to frame the image to fit the filter's transition point.

Yes, you will see shockingly better results with a $150 B+W, Rodenstock, Heliopan or Singh-Ray filter compared to a $10.00 POS eBay filter.
If you're using straight ND filters, either the screw-on type or the gel type are fine. If you are looking at graduated NDs then you really need to use the gel-type.

You can either choose Cokin gels ($25 - 35/filter) or Singh-Ray ($125/filter) or Lee, about the same. The only disadvantage to Cokin is that they can produce a slight to moderate red cast when shooting toward the sun. This is easily controlled/eliminated by a large lens hood. I keep an 8x10 piece of matte black craft foam in my bag ($1.25 Wal-mart).

Thank you all so much for the advice and recommendations. Really appreciate it!

I'm a little confused on the gels. I need to shoot through one of those colored plastic things a well as the graduated ND filter? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back