ND, CPL, adapter ring Filter question

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a no name brand CPL filter for my Kit Nikon Lens, it cost me all of about $20.

I'm looking into purchasing me some good Filters CPL and ND for my current lenses and possible future lens. I'll mostly be using them for landscape (waterfalls, cityscapes etc.).
I've read it's best to just buy a 77mm size for all of my filter needs and use an adapter ring for the size filter your lens needs. Currently both of my Nikon Lenses are 52mm.

1). Are they any issues with CPL doing it like this or is it better to spend the money on a CPL for the exact size of your lens?

2). Is there really a big difference between Tiffen/Hoya as these are the two I'm most looking at?

3). From what I've read, you should basically have a +2, +6 and +9stop filters in the ND catagory, does this sound correct?

Any other suggestions to add to my growing list of wants?

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond.

1) Adapter rings are practical as you can use different sizes of lenses so there's no need to buy the same filters with a different size. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

2) It really depends on the specific filter being considered. Both are reputable mid-priced brands that both have lemons and good performance filters. Do research on the specific filter you want. i.e. both have non-coated and multi-coated UV filters. Needles to say the non-coated ones perform poorly. (Now let's not get into the UV debate. It's just an example. Maybe a bad one. But I hope I still made my point. ;))

3) It really depends on what you are going to shoot. But really you got yourself pretty much covered with those. Personally, I prefer the +9 ND more.

Last edited:
Adapter rings may also prevent you from using a hood.

Just a thought but by the time you invest in alot of filters you would have enough money to upgrade the kit lens. Im betting an upgraded lens would offer alot more improvement than filters will.

Thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated.

2fast Here are the lenses I'm looking at in the future

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Nikon 28-300mm ED VR AF-S Lens f3.5/5.6

So either way, the filters will still be used.

One of the things I learned the hard way when I moved from 'kit' lenses to 'fast glass' (read: expensive) is all the filter sizes grew significantly. Hence, my 58mm and 67mm filters had to be replaced to accomodate 72, 77, and 82mm filter sizes...also more expensive due to their size. I opted for 'step up' rings to solve the situation. And yes, the hoods either go on first or don't fit when using step up rings.

Although I haven't yet been in a photographic situation where I felt I needed ND filters, should I ever go there, I would definitely opt for the rectangular filters with appropriate specialized adapter rings such as those produced by Cokin and other manufacturers. They definitely do not come cheap.

Just some food for thought before one plunks down a bunch of cash for one size filters only to have to replace them (again) when another lens is added.

Brat.. thanks for the reply.. that's why I'm looking at the 77mm version for all of my filters over just what my current lenses need (both are 52mm).

The Tamron listed above is listed as 67mm
The Nikon listed above is listed as 77mm

So.. My thoughts are to buy 77mm and just use step rings to get the size I need. Convert a 77 to 52 for my current lens ($10.00 ring), and then when I get a new lens get a converter ring for the 67mm to 77, or the for the Nikon, just mount it.

This way, I can spend good money and get a good filter or two or three, and not have to worry about replacing them. I don't see myself buying any 400-500-600mm lenses for things like Sports or Wildlife.. just not my interest.

Make sense ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back