ND Filters?

bikeboynate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on which ND and ND grad filters are the best to get. I'll mainly be using them for sunrise and sunset as well as for smoothing out ocean water. Thanks for your help!

If you want grads you will be looking at a square/rectangular filter system.

There are a few options there from Cokin, Lee etc, and despite the extra cost I would go with a 4x4" / 4x6" system, as it will allow wider lenses (17 on a crop wont cause you problems with the smaller filters) and you will run into less issues trying to stack multiple filters.

Putting filters together these days is not too easy with so many being unavailable. I have chosen Lee for my grads but have yet to get all the parts I need to work. But when I do its going to be a good thing!

This is what I use

B+W 77mm #103 Solid Neutral Density (ND) 0.9 MRC 66-1066147 B&H

3 stop
multi-coated
glass

I buy 77mm filters and use step up rings accordingly. Allows me to use the same filters on several lenses without buying the same filter in different sizes.
Thanks for that recommendation! I ONLY use B+W and I love their 77CPL MRC as well as their 77UVH MRC. One question, where do you get your step-up rings?

If you want grads you will be looking at a square/rectangular filter system.

There are a few options there from Cokin, Lee etc, and despite the extra cost I would go with a 4x4" / 4x6" system, as it will allow wider lenses (17 on a crop wont cause you problems with the smaller filters) and you will run into less issues trying to stack multiple filters.

Is there any big difference between Cokin and Lee? Also what holder system would I use?
Putting filters together these days is not too easy with so many being unavailable. I have chosen Lee for my grads but have yet to get all the parts I need to work. But when I do its going to be a good thing!
I've gravitated toward Lee more since more people use it. Do you know what holder system I would use on a 77mm lens?

BTW Thanks for the replies guys! Very helpful.

No i dont I am waiting for mine from the filter connection. I have the filters that are hand made but not the apparatus which is like a no brainer.

Crazy. I did tell them need 77mm as well.

I purchase step-up rings anywhere I can find the odd sizes I need at a fair price. I think one is branded Tiffen, schneider, and a few unmarked. I haven't found much variance in terms of quality... the filter on the other hand really matters. The more expensive ones, such as Heliopan, are made from Brass instead of cheaper alloys of Aluminum. For some of my smaller lenses, I have to step up twice. In my case, I step all my smaller lenses to 55mm and then use a 55-77mm ring. For anything larger, single step up ring to 77mm. Makes for quickly switching the filter rather easy. For really wide focal lengths, I avoid stacking as much as possible but they generally have greater than 55mm filter size.

Most of Canon's L-lenses are 77mm filter sizes too...

I haven't used Lee filters but I have seen their system in person. The holders are a better quality than Cokin. I haven't found too much need for graduated filters but yes.. you'll want to get square glass ones so you can slide them up and down for more control.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back