Nearly lost my D10 today (and nearly drown too)

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...so I was at Whatipu and the tide was really high, but I was good 10 meters away from the crashing waves. I started wading in the tidal stream to get some really wicked shots when this rogue wave comes up from behind an wallops me legs. I lose my balance, I fall forward...

only to realise the tidal stream is about 7 feet deep now!

With me last ounce of super-kiwi-strength raise my arm with the d10. As the last bubbles of oxygen rose from my nose and as the super salinated water burned me eyes, I saw my small frail fingertips just above the water with the d10 perfectly balanced upon them.

The sand below was like quicksand, but i manage to project the last bit of my fading energy to burst to the surface and lunge to the bank. My arm was tensely clenched like the lady liberty holding up the torch; only my hand held the life giving d-10.

I reach in my pocket to get my mobile phone, but i need the rosetta stone to translate the hieroglyphics on the lcd panel. A few seconds later the phone gives up the ghost.

My D-10 however was poised, serene and dry as if it was divine providence that it should live through the ordeal. It was a bloody close call.

But the pictures are bloody excellent!!!

I'm glad you're ok, Mark!!

thanks! I am still trying to get the water out of my ears

oriecat said:
Hey, how common is the Nagy name? Hungarian photog names Tamas Nagy is showing at my gallery this month. I of course immediately thought of you!

Nagy's are a dime a dozen in Hungary. Pretty common there, but not elsewhere in world :D

wow what a story! glad to hear you and the Nik are doing well! Might have to get'er some fresh batteries and a warm USB port tonigh to calm you both down eh?! Can't wait to see the pics!

Man, i am just glad the camera is alright. How could you risk such a fate to your trusty steed! I wouldn't be suprised if that camera ran away to find a more responsible owner. I think i heard it say it wanted a nice owner who never left the studio. It wants to take pictures of naked women all day. I swear i heard you 10D say that to me.
I am just glad its alright.....

Oh i guess i am somewhat relieved to hear your OK too.... ;)

wow...nice story :)

lets see the pics now :)

Shark said:
Ehh, would've just been a good excuse to switch to Canon like the real photographers!

:shock: :greenpbl: :greenpbl: :green to:
I thought Mark already shot with a 10D?

Glad to hear your camera's alright..... and that you didn't drown. :D

Well once, I dropped my camera bag but the camera was not in it.

Glad things turned out for the best.

Damn :shock:

Glad the camera made it as well as yourself. Cant help but think what a funny picture that would have made :!:

And anyway, cellphones are cheaper than cameras that do that kind of Nagy Magic ;)

Pictures pleas :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back