Need a camera for an African safari

FTWingRiders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

Been a long time, but I'm looking for some suggestions. My wife is going to Africa for 3 weeks for work, but it will include a number of safari outings. Really a trip of a lifetime, however I'm lost at suggesting the right equipment.

A few factors..

1.. ease of use.. She needs as "point and shoot" as possible.
2.. Focal Length.. Obviously the bigger the better.
3.. A fairly robust camera that is sealed against dust
4.. light as possible as she's been told of rather restrict weight and size limits for her luggage
5.. No real budget, but like to keep it under $2k.

After some research, is seems a bridge camera might be something to consider.. long zoom in one package and fairly easy to operate.. however the more I read the more confused I am..LOL

I personally still have my Nikon D7100, and I could spring for better glass, however I know my wife, and the thought of her switching large heavy lenses will not go well. (see #1 above.)

I've tended to just use my cell phone more than anything lately and haven't really paid much attention to whats the latest and greatest.

Thank you for any suggestions!

If I were getting a compact point and shoot for Africa, I would probably go for a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200. It has decent range, 360mm (35mm equivalent FOV), and a 1" sensor. It produces good images for a small compact camera. Then again, if it were me, I would be getting a Sigma 100-400 for the D7100.

Check out the Panasonic fz300. Small sensor but 600mm f2.8 zoom and shoots raw.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.27.02 AM.png

I am not a fan of point and shoots for what I do but the Nikon P1000 might fit your mission profile.

Here is one of many reviews:

If you get a camera with interchangeable lenses then focus more on the lenses than the bodies.

My wife recently went on a Safari in East Africa last January and she used our Canon 5ds. I don't recommend using a point and shoot camera as the light is very bright out there and you will most likely be shooting directly into the sun much of the time. Don't shoot in automatic. Learn how to use the shutter priority mode so you can catch the animals in motion. Just don't take a cell phone.

Don't shoot in automatic.

Good advice but every time I've coached someone on shutter or aperture priority, later I've found their camera back on the dreaded green A (Canon). I guess I'm a horrible teacher.

Seriously though, for a trip like this, get something that allows you to control the camera and then learn (and practice) how to do it. Fumbling around with the camera as the animal crosses you path is too late.

I've been to Botswana, South Africa, and Namibia on photo safaris. Here is my advice:

1. Your wife needs two cameras. You want a point-and-shoot for all those shots of closeups (where the elephant rubs against the side of the range rover, or to get expressions of the people seated next to you. Or maybe to shoot some wide-angle sunsets or sunrises. Or the monkey that sits on the bonnet of your vehicle). Make it something that will fit in a pocket or a vest.

2. Then you need a camera (don't worry so much about the camera, it's the lens that is critical) that can handle at minimum a 400mm zoom and ideally a 500mm zoom. Depending upon where she's going, if it's someplace like Botswana or Kenya or Tanzania, 90% of the best shots (all the big cats, the wild dogs or hyenas, all of the birds, the rhinos) she's going to need at least 400mm for. And I can't think of a single point-and-shoot that will give her that capability. She doesn't need to be a photo-whiz. Set it on Auto. Or Aperature.

3. Check with the tour. Some (like Pangolin, based out of Capetown) will provide a Nikon 7000 with a 400mm zoom and an SD card for free since you're on the photo tour for free. Most photo tours will have beanbags or stands with gimbles in their vehicles or boats (every place I toured did). And you attach your DSLR with the bazooka-sized lens to that. If you don't want to buy a DSLR with a big lens, then rent one. If this is a trip of a life-time, you won't regret it.

4 Do NOT under any circumstances plan on swapping out lens. If you do, it's in the hotel or houseboat or tent. It's too dusty in Africa. You put a lens on and you keep it there until you're done shooting. And unless she's bringing a laptop to backup to, she should bring plenty of SD cards. For instance, my safari to Botswana I had over 2,000 RAW files.

5. DO think of getting a photo/tactical vest. Yeah, they make you look like a photo nerd, women in particular tend to roll their eyes at how unstylish they are and make everyone look dumpy. But...consider this: most flights to Africa and within Africa will be obnoxious about luggage weight. My flight from Dulles (DC) to Dakar, I was forced to repack my carry-on bags 4 times until they met the weight limit. All my other flights, I had that tactical vest packed to the max so I didn't run in to problems with other flights (Dakar to Jo-burg, etc.). Additionally, she'll almost certainly spend almost all of her day seated in a vehicle or in a small boat. A backpack doesn't work. A vest is superb (to hold a water bottle, granola bar, sunglasses, micro-fibre cloth to get dust off the lens, a bottle of advil, sunscreen, and her point-and-shoot.)

6. Depends upon where you go and when you go. But in Botswana and South Africa in July it was winter there. We'd go out in the morning when it was dark. I wore a compression T-shirt, a long-sleeved T-shirt, an ex-officio shirt, fleece, a rain jacket (really like a wind-breaker), a stocking cap, gloves, long pants and I was COLD. So layering in the early morning will be critical. Most of it came off by 9:30am. But at sunrise (especially if you're in a boat or vehicle racing to get to the preserve before everyone else) it is very chilly.

Finally, a piece of advice I got when researching my first safari to Africa: if you can only go to two continents in the world, go to Africa twice. It's that good as a photographer--it really is.

Make sure you take extra batteries.

First.. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Looks like 3 different animals to consider.. The Panasonic ZS200, FZ300 and the nikon as starting points in my search. I'm a nikon guy, but I had been leaning towards the panasonic based upon my research and its nice to see others agree.

The Nikon looks amazing with the super zoom, but quite a bit heavier than the others at 7.8lbs.. Something I'm interested in but might be more than my wife will like..

The ZS200 has, as mentioned, the large 1" sensor.. but also only offers a 24-360 zoom.. nice and small tho, she'll like the size..

The FZ300 has a nice 600mm and a constant f2.8 which is nice while offering a weather resistant body while still light weight.. a nice compromise..

I'd already ruled out a DSLR as too bulky and complicated for my DW, and she'll get frustrated with it.. she's stressed to me the importance of ease of operations..lol

hmm.. a lot to think and research still..

Planning on going to see if we can get hands on with some models this weekend, she leaves in 2 weeks and I want here to get accustomed to whichever she decides beforehand..

Thanks again!!

I've been to Botswana, South Africa, and Namibia on photo safaris. Here is my advice:

1. Your wife needs two cameras. You want a point-and-shoot for all those shots of closeups (where the elephant rubs against the side of the range rover, or to get expressions of the people seated next to you. Or maybe to shoot some wide-angle sunsets or sunrises. Or the monkey that sits on the bonnet of your vehicle). Make it something that will fit in a pocket or a vest.

2. Then you need a camera (don't worry so much about the camera, it's the lens that is critical) that can handle at minimum a 400mm zoom and ideally a 500mm zoom. Depending upon where she's going, if it's someplace like Botswana or Kenya or Tanzania, 90% of the best shots (all the big cats, the wild dogs or hyenas, all of the birds, the rhinos) she's going to need at least 400mm for. And I can't think of a single point-and-shoot that will give her that capability. She doesn't need to be a photo-whiz. Set it on Auto. Or Aperature.

3. Check with the tour. Some (like Pangolin, based out of Capetown) will provide a Nikon 7000 with a 400mm zoom and an SD card for free since you're on the photo tour for free. Most photo tours will have beanbags or stands with gimbles in their vehicles or boats (every place I toured did). And you attach your DSLR with the bazooka-sized lens to that. If you don't want to buy a DSLR with a big lens, then rent one. If this is a trip of a life-time, you won't regret it.

4 Do NOT under any circumstances plan on swapping out lens. If you do, it's in the hotel or houseboat or tent. It's too dusty in Africa. You put a lens on and you keep it there until you're done shooting. And unless she's bringing a laptop to backup to, she should bring plenty of SD cards. For instance, my safari to Botswana I had over 2,000 RAW files.

5. DO think of getting a photo/tactical vest. Yeah, they make you look like a photo nerd, women in particular tend to roll their eyes at how unstylish they are and make everyone look dumpy. But...consider this: most flights to Africa and within Africa will be obnoxious about luggage weight. My flight from Dulles (DC) to Dakar, I was forced to repack my carry-on bags 4 times until they met the weight limit. All my other flights, I had that tactical vest packed to the max so I didn't run in to problems with other flights (Dakar to Jo-burg, etc.). Additionally, she'll almost certainly spend almost all of her day seated in a vehicle or in a small boat. A backpack doesn't work. A vest is superb (to hold a water bottle, granola bar, sunglasses, micro-fibre cloth to get dust off the lens, a bottle of advil, sunscreen, and her point-and-shoot.)

6. Depends upon where you go and when you go. But in Botswana and South Africa in July it was winter there. We'd go out in the morning when it was dark. I wore a compression T-shirt, a long-sleeved T-shirt, an ex-officio shirt, fleece, a rain jacket (really like a wind-breaker), a stocking cap, gloves, long pants and I was COLD. So layering in the early morning will be critical. Most of it came off by 9:30am. But at sunrise (especially if you're in a boat or vehicle racing to get to the preserve before everyone else) it is very chilly.

Finally, a piece of advice I got when researching my first safari to Africa: if you can only go to two continents in the world, go to Africa twice. It's that good as a photographer--it really is.

JoeW... great advise.. thank you! She's going to all those places..

1... good thought.. having a small P and A readily available is sound advice.
2.. yeah.. I was thinking 4-500mm should be the minimum.. and it will definitely be on "A" no matter the camera..lol
3.. something I'll have her check.. a lot easier than packing and hauling separate camera and lenses..
5.. A great idea. Tho I'm sure she'll fight on it.. she's all about the form over function.. if you catch my drift..lol
6.. Thats the hardest part for her right now is figuring out her clothes.. She'll be in Cape Town for a few days and I'm trying to convince her that Layers are the way to plan.

And yes.. I'm very jealous and wish I could go.. HAHA!!

First, whatever camera you end up getting for her, take it out someplace and shoot wildlife with it. Go to the zoo. I know, not the same setting, animals will be closer, light not as bright, not as dusty. But she may start to get "ugh, I want to get closer" or "wow, shooting birds in flight is tough!" and learn what shots she's capable of making and which shots to stay away from.

Second, Cape Town will be lovely, very South of France in summer kind of weather almost year round as I recall.

Third, one way to sell her on the vest is: it's like a purse that you wear. All the things you'd typically put in your purse will now go on your vest (because a purse isn't realistic) plus the photo-related stuff you'll need. And also tell her she can ditch the vest EXCEPT she'll need it for the flights (because of the luggage issues). And a purse is not an option on this trip--her hands will be free keeping her in the vehicle (if it's bouncing around) and holding on to camera gear. The floor of the boat will be wet (so can't put a purse or backpack there) or vehicle--dusty and muddy (again, don't put stuff on the floor).

Is this just a general safari or a photo-specific safari? I ask because for Africa, they're two different beasts. The photo safaris generally leave before sunrise (so like a 5am wakeup), shoot in the morning, come back mid-day, go out in the afternoon and comeback after sunset. The tourist safaris let you sleep in, go out after sunrise, get back before sunset so you can have a "sundowner" drink as the sun sets. Photo safaris will do a lot more of "okay, let's park the vehicle and wait 30 minutes to see if that leopard stirs" while the tourist safari will go "in that tree is a leopard--everyone see it? Good, let's move on." So depending upon the type she's on, she should prepared for a very different experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back