Need a Good walkaround lens?

Ok thanks, This would be easier if I had the money for the Nikon pro glass:)

Look into a Tokina 280 ATX Pro. Built like a tank and works great on a Nikon.

Then you would need a 12-24mm. ;)

???? This has great potential! That seems like a good walkaround/portrait lens! Anyone here have any other comments on it, I am reading on the web now:)?

???? This has great potential! That seems like a good walkaround/portrait lens! Anyone here have any other comments on it, I am reading on the web now:)?

I own one and love it. My 18-70mm doesn't leave the house anymore unless I'm going to be gone all day. (it has the same quality build as the Nikon 28-70mm. It's been compared to the Nikon IQ wise as well but as I don't own the Nikon, I can't comment) But it is heavy and will turn heads.

If you shoot for money, have some cards with you- It's a portable billboard.

Where is a good place to look for it? B&H did not have it? It is not out, I just have never orderd outside of B&H so:)

The Tokina 28-80 f/2.8 has several good thing about it I like, the build quality is from all reports "like a tank" and the fact that it does not extend when zoomed is nice but I read a lot about it not being sharp (in fact I read that about most of the 3rd party lens) I know some of that is the photographer as I get some sharp some not so sharp shots with my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and it is probably me. It is also an older lens, still works with the D200?

It works great with My D200! Most of the reports about the focusing comes from Canon users. There was also something about Nikon F100s.

I got mine through e-bay which is the only place I have seen one for sale. It has a bit of a cult status and is hard to find. I did find one NIB in Japan for $600 But I doubt that it's still there.

There are earlier models that go cheaper but I don't think that they have the instant manual release and they start at f/2.6 @ 28mm.By all accounts they are good lenses though.

Here's one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokina-Zoom-Wid...oryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You might also look for one with a camera. Mine came with a free D100 attached. :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I think that is the same one I ran accross on Ebay:) For some reason this is such a hard choice, much harder than upgradeing cameras or when I was looking at the 70-200, guess there are just several ways I can go which makes it hard:):)

Another vote here for the Tamron 17-50. It is my walkaround and I love it. It has plenty of reach for me for day-to-day stuff and IQ is superb (if I want a bit more reach, I use my Sigma 50-150, but that's not the routine here). The only downside I've seen with my Tamron is that it is not an ultrasonic motor, but it is still relatively fast and quiet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back