CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

I currently have this tripod, the Manfrotto Mini...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-785SHB-Modo-Photo-Video-Tripod/dp/B000FABL7Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238666492&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Manfrotto 785SHB Modo Mini Photo-Video Grip Head Tripod: Electronics[/ame]

I love it, but it's a bit wobbly when shot in portrait mode, and it's too short when stood up all the way. I have to be squatting to look through the viewfinder.

I need something taller and more stable in the portrait orientation. Ideally, I would like a legs/head combo under $200. Any suggestions?

I just bought a "Promaster System Pro 1n Professional Tripod" ($119) and a Promaster System Pro ballhead ($49).

I bought them at a local store because I wanted to see it before I bought it. Being in the construction industry, I've come to know if a thing is cheaply built or decently built. This thing is very sturdy and MUCH better than the $30 "special" I got from Wal-Marks a couple years ago:lol:. It may be on the heavy side, but I don't know, as I've not had much experience with carbon-fiber models. The middle extension pole can be removed and used as a monopod as well. As for height, I think Shaquille O'Neal could use this tripod comfortably. I have been very happy with it.

I'm sure you could find this online for much less money, but I haven't had the heart to look for it online to see how much I could have saved.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure others will chime in with better deals, and others will chime in calling you an amateur for not buying the carbon fiber, kevlar coated tripod with a titanium ballhead. :lol:

Just a suggestion. I'm sure others will chime in with better deals, and others will chime in calling you an amateur for not buying the carbon fiber, kevlar coated tripod with a titanium ballhead. :lol:

Haha. I AM an amateur. I just started photography back in December. And I don't feel like plunking down several hundred bucks for a nice Gitzo tripod yet.

errr... $200? ... i got mine for 27 :p

heres a shot of it

dsc0316.jpg

only thing i dont like about it is the cheap plastic they used for the camera mount .
(it feels cheap anyway)

but hey.. gets the job done

errr... $200? ... i got mine for 27 :p

sorry but a $27 tripod is pure crap... but if your ok with putting hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of equipement on a 27 dollar tripod, thats your business...

cool. i really love my manfrotto and this looks solid. *bought* thanks guys :)

hey guys. this just came in today. let me tell you. WOW. it is much bigger, sturdier, and heavier than my manfrotto mini. i think i'll keep the mini around if i need something for hiking and stability isnt a huge issue. this is great, but it is like 5 lbs (plus the weight of the super sturdy metal ballhead), and not as many leg extensions, so it's more bulky. not something i can easily just strap onto my slingshot and go hiking. will def help in areas that i need something super sturdy, or where it's easily accessible from a car. haha.

Most reactions

Back