Need a portable HDD

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you guys have any recommendations for a portable hard drive? My laptop only has 250GB and is already 160 full. I want to get an HDD specifically for storing images for when I acquire my first DSLR. I will probably be shooting Fine JPEG at first but plan on shooting RAW when I decide to delve into editing. Maybe even JPEG+RAW. Looking for something durable with good write speed(of course). I'd say 250GB minimum.

Anyone have any advice?

I have 2 500gb Western Digital Passports that I use to backup my laptop. Each can be had for under $100. I got the version that comes with firewire 800 for the speed advantage. I'm inpatient sometimes.

WD is nice. Stay away from "lacie" my dad works with computers and gets a lot of them in for data recovery.

I have a WD Passport for wifes laptop 500gb, and a Segate Freeagent Go 250gb for mine. I am impressed with the Segate. It's small so easy to transport. And it has traveled on at least 50 flights now. So, gets alot of abuse being packed and unpacked all the time. Even has a small dent in it but works like a champ. Going to order another larger one maybe the 880gb one.

another option would be to upgrade your laptop. you can replace your drive with, let's say, 500GB (those are cheap these days). also, you can take you old hard drive and put into a $10 enclosure, so it works as an external hard drive.

Transcend 1.8" Portable Hard Drive - smallest external hard drive available at spyshelter... The best place to computer repair also...

Interesting... a lot of small photo shops depend on LaCie. I have 4 of them and none of them have had any problems out of the ordinary. They are also very popular among the Apple crowd as they have a close working relationship to take full advantage of hardware.

I also have a few seagate internals that go into a docking station.. no problems with those so far but they don't spin up often as I keep them for archiving.

Acomdata on the other hand have a much higher failure rate at my home. One of them took out a firewire port along with itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back