Need a printer for my studio

Wales

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be expanding my studio to a more retail like setting and am thinking about getting my own printer. What ones do you recommend? Currently most of my clients buy wallet sizes to 5x7. I don't need a $50k printer, but something that can give clients good quality pictures within an hour.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

How big will you need/want to print? That will help you to narrow down your options.

Inkjet printers are capable of making great prints. The 'photo' inkjet printers will have many different colored inks. I believe the top end models are up to 7 or 9 different inks.

I'd suggest something like an Epson R2400 with a bulk ink system, used with Epson inks rather than third-party inks. The R2400 does good colour and B&W, and the predicted life of the image is very good. Alternatively you could go for the smallest of Epson's professional line, the 4800 or 4880, or the Canon iPF5000. These latter models will take roll paper, and they have a cutter - I think that it is an option for the Canon. The R2400 can be used with roll paper, but you have to cut by hand. The earlier 2200 had a cutter.

Best,
Helen

I have the Epson 4800 and just love it! The 4800 can take sheets or rolls and it does have a cutter. The quality of the prints are amazing! It can print up to 17" wide.

On a side note...
Here at my work, we just got a new HP DesignJet T610, it's not so much a photo printer, but an engineering plotter....but I'm going to get some 24" wide photo paper and see what it can do.

Are these printers what small studio uses? I'm hoping to one day expand into a minimall and want to be able to supply my clients with the prints.

On a side note...
Here at my work, we just got a new HP DesignJet T610, it's not so much a photo printer, but an engineering plotter....but I'm going to get some 24" wide photo paper and see what it can do.

My brother has one of those (he designs buildings) and the colors are kind of muted. :)

Are these printers what small studio uses? I'm hoping to one day expand into a minimall and want to be able to supply my clients with the prints.

I don't think so. I think the ones that have high volume use the "real" photo developer printers.

Can you give me an example of a photo developer printer? So..what I'll be looking for is a minilab type??

Agfa d-lab 1
Fuji Frontier
Noritsu

These have a much lower cost per print than inkjet, and they print faster. The capital cost is higher - starting at about $3,000 and upwards for a refurbished model, depending on what options you want - the cost varies a lot.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back