Need a Wide Angle Lens

A little cheating...

I do disagree with "dubious" there... I find no picture degradation at 20mm... in fact, it improves... barreling and distortion drops drastically, check the online specs that support this. :)
same with me

Yes, i know you dont use f2.8 for landscapes, but why would I pay the same price for a lens that is limited to f4 when for the same price get a lens then is f2.8?

I am just wondering. And what one is better quality? That is one of my main concearns. Like build quality.

And also, the canon has a USM AF motor.

I cant find any justification in why the prices are the same.

**nice pics to both of you BTW

The Canon you posted is a 20mm Prime lens. The Sigma is a 10-20mm. So it goes very much wider, and it zooms. The Canon does neither. There's a justification for ya.
btw, that sigma is on my shortlist, unless of course there are better products out there by the time I get to it, money being what it is these days.

That is very true, and 1mm wider at this width is huge difference (10% more!). This not a minor detail.

But also true is that the Tokina gives you a MUCH wider aperture, a MUCH better build (the Sigma is not even close), and the same sharpness.

Thanks everyone!!!

So I'm gears toward the sigma now, but is the built quality good? I don't want a lens that's built like a cheap kit lens.

Uh oh, do I have a bad copy then?

Start a new thread and show is the pics you are talking about. We can "compare notes". :)

Could be technique, conditions, your choice of settings as much as it being a bad copy. In the last 2 years pretty much all lenses with he EX rating have been spot on in the functionality department.

The Sigma is a great lens choice for wide angle. I got the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 a few weeks ago and love the 10mm lenght.

I had played with both the Canon and the Sigma and really enjoyed both of them. I went with the Canon because:
- The canon was open box, so it was $125 off the normal price
- The store I went to didn't carry the Sigma, nor would they order it
- I had $500 in gift certificates at said store

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20!

I second that, I have it and it's a great lens. Sure it doesn't have the 2.8 aperture the tokina has, but how often would you use the 2.8?

I just rented the Sigma 10-20 and I love it!

dpp0545xe6.jpg

I second that, I have it and it's a great lens. Sure it doesn't have the 2.8 aperture the tokina has, but how often would you use the 2.8?

On any other lens, very often. On a landscape lens? Never.

I don't know, I have used wide-angle lenses often in the low-light hours. . .esp when I was in France, real great, dramatic shots. . .but to that end, I guess a tripod could substitute for those situations. . .now if I had a 24mm 1/4, I'd probably opt for that over any other WA lens!!

Hah! What a funny coincidence, I *just* picked up the Sigma 10-20mm today at lunch! I went in the store to check out the Canon 15mm Fisheye, but it was just too expensive for me, since I wouldn't use it all that much.

I started checking out the Sigma and I was very impressed. I haven't shot with my new one yet but will be doing a shoot tomorrow, I can't wait. I'll post some pics from it.

hahaha.

Okay guys so i think I am going to go with the sigma, but i just want to see if there is anything else in the canon brand.

I have looked on several camera retail store's websites and I see no canon wide angle lens in the under 18 mm (on the minium zoom end. or even a prime under 18mm) for under $1000.

The only ones under 18mm that i see canon makes are the L series, which are outragesly priced.

Is there any comparbale to the 10-20 mm sigma (comprable in price and "mm") in the canon line up?

thans

Most reactions

Back