Need Advice - first time shooting pictures of a couple

westerngirl14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone !!! So my cousin asked me if I'd want to take some pictures of his girlfriend and him and you know me,I'm always looking for photo opportunities and practice, so I'm like "Absolutely!" Nothing too serious... I'm going to have fun!:sexywink: So any tips, pointers, advice? I know this couple VERY well and I think we will have lots of fun.(They're just that sort of couple... very full of life, flexible, and willing to try new things) We're going to do it in September, when hopefully there's some pretty leaves.... And probably be in a park. I'm thinking gazebo, swings, merry go round, park benches, piles of leaves... just gets me excited thinking about it.:lol:

But yes, I'm still a newbie. I will be shooting with my Canon Rebel Xti . I'm still learning on it... advice? Tips? Pointers? I just feel I need a little professional guidance here/

THANKS!

What part of the country you in? You may get some cool ideas on places to go. But as far as pointers , keep it simple, reflector and maybe an off camera flash for the shooting if you are doing the casual fun thing. That way you can move around easily.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Don't stress too much, it will come to you. You just let them be who they are and go from there. It's digital so if it doesn't look right in preview mode, you can always take more! At least that's how I'd do it then again I'm not good with people. =)

What part of the country you in? You may get some cool ideas on places to go. But as far as pointers , keep it simple, reflector and maybe an off camera flash for the shooting if you are doing the casual fun thing. That way you can move around easily.
-
Shoot well, Joe
I am in the midwestern area of the United States... Iowa to be exact.;) That means lotsa corn fields! September will be about harvest time... hmmm *brain begins whirring with ideas*
THANKS! I don't have an off camera flash, but I do have a reflector. That's a good idea.
Don't stress too much, it will come to you. You just let them be who they are and go from there. It's digital so if it doesn't look right in preview mode, you can always take more! At least that's how I'd do it then again I'm not good with people. =)

Thanks for your kind comment, Vtec. I'm trying to keep relaxed about it, and just roll with it... It's pretty far in the future so I have plenty of time to scout out the area for places and props... Thanks!

I'm sure you can find an old barn with some rustic farm equipment.
Old Bridge?/ Tressle (make sure it is not active)

-
Shoot well, Joe

I'm sure you can find an old barn with some rustic farm equipment.
Old Bridge?/ Tressle (make sure it is not active)

-
Shoot well, Joe

yes, I live on a farm, and we definitely have a barn and some old farm equipment. :) Great idea!

OH! thanks for reminding me, I know the perfect old train trestle, and yes it's not active any more... ohh okay I need to start writing down all my ideas so I don't forget them all! THANKS!

If you have a reflector, do you have someone to go with you to hold it?

#1, don't shoot it against a busy back ground like tons of trees. Corn field is fine as long as it's not too tall pass the hip or else it'll be distracting. In the beginning tell the couple to just chill and hang out at a park and you'll be on the side and snap some photos for test shots. During those time, you will see how they act through your lens and then you will get ideas of what pose will look good or decent. You should see which side is their best side or which angle, and you'll should be testing the lighting so when the time is right, you'll able to just snap snap without fussing on which setting to be on. If you get a shot or two that's nice, go up there and show them. "Hey, got some nice shots of you guys. Take a look." After they see how they look on camera, and actually look good, they won't be as camera shy and actually might start to be really into it.

That's my advice. I would want the couple to feel more comfortable first and then get into the shoot. Some people, especially if it's their first time, will be self-conscious of themselves so they act awkward in the photos. Get to know the couple too, if they're a outgoing, fun couple then tell them to do fun stuff they usually do and act silly. Don't be afraid to use pop up flash in the daytime if you're shooting in the sun. The pop up flash will fill up the shadow but you need to not adjust the flash to the right exposure. I said in the Sun okay, if it's shaded don't use pop-up flash. GL and have fun.

If you have a reflector, do you have someone to go with you to hold it?

#1, don't shoot it against a busy back ground like tons of trees. Corn field is fine as long as it's not too tall pass the hip or else it'll be distracting. In the beginning tell the couple to just chill and hang out at a park and you'll be on the side and snap some photos for test shots. During those time, you will see how they act through your lens and then you will get ideas of what pose will look good or decent. You should see which side is their best side or which angle, and you'll should be testing the lighting so when the time is right, you'll able to just snap snap without fussing on which setting to be on. If you get a shot or two that's nice, go up there and show them. "Hey, got some nice shots of you guys. Take a look." After they see how they look on camera, and actually look good, they won't be as camera shy and actually might start to be really into it.

That's my advice. I would want the couple to feel more comfortable first and then get into the shoot. Some people, especially if it's their first time, will be self-conscious of themselves so they act awkward in the photos. Get to know the couple too, if they're a outgoing, fun couple then tell them to do fun stuff they usually do and act silly. Don't be afraid to use pop up flash in the daytime if you're shooting in the sun. The pop up flash will fill up the shadow but you need to not adjust the flash to the right exposure. I said in the Sun okay, if it's shaded don't use pop-up flash. GL and have fun.

Thank you for the very helpful, constructive advice. Yes, my brother has assisted me on various photo shoots, being my "reflector man" :) No worries there....

I like your ideas for the shoot beginning...very helpful:thumbup: I'm not worried about them being stiff or un comfortable, as I know them sooo well and they're family and all...

Thanks for the flash tips. Definitely keep that in mind.

Bring alot of water its hot this time if year. Try shooting in a place with shade to minimize hot spots. Search for locations then think of poses for each location and write them down. What do they like to do together. Try getting shots that represents them and who they are.

Buy rent or borrow an external flash and a way to set it up and trigger it off camera. Don't shoot at noon.

Most reactions

Back