Need Advice - half-professional camera with good auto mode

Malina1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I am going to buy half-professional camera. I am the beginner and don't understand anything in this area, and even more, I don't want to learn how to use the camera more professionally (and have no possibility, since I have a small child). However, I have tried once to use my friend's half-professional camera (in auto mode) and was just amazed how good the quality is comparing to my simple cheap point-and-shoot camera.
So I decided to buy half-professional camera as well. But the main criteria for me is good auto mode. No need to have several lenses and so on. It just has to be as smart as possible to choose the correct settings itself in auto mode. Also is has to be very fast, since mostly I am going to shoot my child.
I also do not like very "sharp" pictures, I prefer "warmer" and "softer".
Price limit 400 usd.
I would appreciate a lot if you can advice which half-professional camera is the best for me taking into account my requirements. I have heard some good comments about Canon SX40...
Thank you in advance! Anna

I don't know what is your definition of half pro.
I will tell you what I think you need.

Get the Canon G15, fantastic camera, my uses it only on auto mode and this is the camera we take for family occasions or small trips when I am too lazy to take my DSLR, amazing quality and cost 415$

I am the beginner and don't understand anything in this area, and even more, I don't want to learn how to use the camera more professionally

If you don't want to actually learn anything then just use a point and shoot or camera phone.

I don't want to learn how to use the camera more professionally (and have no possibility, since I have a small child).

I don't buy the having a small child as an excuse for not being able to put some effort into learning how to do something well.

For many people having a child is what actually pushes then to understand photography and improve there images. If you don't believe me then just take a look at how many people post photos of there kids on here.

It just has to be as smart as possible to choose the correct settings itself in auto mode.

No "smart camera" is going to be as smart as a person. You will get MUCH better results if you put in a little effort and take control of the camera.

No "smart camera" is going to be as smart as a person.
A child standing in shade under a tree, in the sunny background, a beautiful landscape. When it comes to exposure, your camera has no idea which one you prefer.

No "smart camera" is going to be as smart as a person.
A child standing in shade under a tree, in the sunny background, a beautiful landscape. When it comes to exposure, your camera has no idea which one you prefer.

Unless those new tangled google glasses can also read your mind.

Hello fellow Santa Clara County resident. You might look at one of the newer small mirrorless cameras. Very high quality, versatile and small enough to be easy to carry everywhere. Nikon V1 or V2 comes to mind.

The panasonic bridge cameras (the one I have is an fz-28 but there are newer) have a very good set of features and auto modes that help you pick a mode. These also have a good Leica lens with 18 zoom or more stuck on the front. Also some of the entry level nikon dslrs (d3000,d3100 etc) have a guide built into the camera. From what you are saying though a fixed lens bridge camera is the preferred way to go I think

Last edited:
Goodguy, Trever1t, jaomul, thanks for your advices!

Paigew, my friend mentioned himself that his camera is not the best one and right now he would not buy this one (even though the quality was much much better than on my point-and-shoot camera or phone camera)

As I said, I have noticed that even on auto mode the quality of photos taken by half-professional camera are MUCH better than photos taken by simple point and shoot or phone cameras.

I have much more important things to do rather than learning how some device works. From my point of view, it is much wiser to put efforts into other things, for example, reading books on child psychology and pedagogics (this is in regards to my reference about the child) etc

I find it interesting that a person so interested in the science/art of teaching has no interest in learning.

I'm an artist in drawing, painting, and computer. I find balance in photography. Go beyond! Get DSLR! And, have fun taking pictures with your child.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back