Need advice on making money with concert photography

Why do people post a link to their work and then when they're told it's not so hot, they say "well, it was old work..."
You obviously felt it was enough of an accurate representation of your work to give it when asked for your portfolio.

Depending on the band and their promoters just photographing them without being contracted to do so or on a specific press pass can be against their trademark and copyright or that of the venue.

Can you do it? Sure. You need to talk with the venues you want to work with if you aren't wanting to hitch yourself to a band as a roadie. The chances of getting HIRED on a paid basis these days is slim. Many to most of the venues that are showing the star chasers are smart enough to be drawing from the million and one guys just like you who simply want free concert tickets and will turn over images in exchange for those tickets.
The bigger venues who are paying are going to hire you based on portfolio and it had better be the best around because just like the smaller venues they have a HUGE pool of talent to choose from. It doesn't hurt to know someone.
Getting yourself attached to a NAME band? Well... join up as a roadie and pray? Or pray to be allowed to sign on as a roadie?
You can always try getting an in through one of the local news agencies who are covering the events too... Same thing-know someone, portfolio...

this is what i sometimes don't like about TFP. people get attacked as "inexperienced" or made to feel like crap for asking questions and not already knowing the way things work. EnjoyPhotoSfl might not have the experience, but I don't see negative attitude. I see someone who is trying to learn.

Anyway, sometimes what I do is go to small shows and take photos for free. Then I speak to the band after and offer them a link to the photos and try to set up some promo work. After creating a relationship with the artist, I'm usually the photographer they think of when they want their shows shot. I've made a little money, but not much, because it's not a really good market right now. All I can say is keep trying and do different things. Experiment.

If you have negative comments, just present them in a respectful way. It's called constructive criticism. Key word: constructive. Respect, guys.

I agree, i used to be on the site a few years ago but stopped due to lack of interest. But thought there would be some experienced concert photogs here. What blew my mind was how harsh my welcome has been considering none of the bashers have cared enough to continue what they started haha. Iv gone into doing local artist to help my resume with the local scene.

Thank you for your input SteffJay

Why do people post a link to their work and then when they're told it's not so hot, they say "well, it was old work..."
You obviously felt it was enough of an accurate representation of your work to give it when asked for your portfolio.

Depending on the band and their promoters just photographing them without being contracted to do so or on a specific press pass can be against their trademark and copyright or that of the venue.

Can you do it? Sure. You need to talk with the venues you want to work with if you aren't wanting to hitch yourself to a band as a roadie. The chances of getting HIRED on a paid basis these days is slim. Many to most of the venues that are showing the star chasers are smart enough to be drawing from the million and one guys just like you who simply want free concert tickets and will turn over images in exchange for those tickets.
The bigger venues who are paying are going to hire you based on portfolio and it had better be the best around because just like the smaller venues they have a HUGE pool of talent to choose from. It doesn't hurt to know someone.
Getting yourself attached to a NAME band? Well... join up as a roadie and pray? Or pray to be allowed to sign on as a roadie?
You can always try getting an in through one of the local news agencies who are covering the events too... Same thing-know someone, portfolio...

i stated that the link provided has not been updated since September. I posted it because i wasn't able to upload photos that are not online. ._. stated within the first few post :p
I dont exchange photos for pass's... i photograph artist i know/ or artist i know are coming down and catch my interest (my musical taste expands from (Hiphop,hardcore/pop/funk/punk/trash/posthardcore etc... ) I do not do this for free tickets...i do it because i love photographing concerts. in miami most have an in house photog so at times its pointless to try that route. I get in the shows no issue with my portfolio.....

I have ventured into band promos and so on recently as a suggestion and direction towards my goal.

I think it's better to give NO advice than to give incorrect advice. "Depending on the band and their promoters just photographing them without being contracted to do so or on a specific press pass can be against their trademark and copyright or that of the venue. " This is so far from correct it's not funny. You can't copyright a human. You can't copyright a venue. Artists and venues have the right to restrict photography under some circumstances, but what you wrote is just entirely wrong.

A venue may have a house photographer, but otherwise, venues aren't doing the hiring. The majority of people in the pit are there for editorial purposes, shooting for some publication or website. Unfortunately, those gigs don't generally pay well, but most photo passes are for the press. Getting a gig working as a photographer for the band is tough because fans are willing to shoot for free. Being a paid photographer working for the band comes from acting professionally and networking and all that other standard business stuff. The roadie idea is just bizarre. Roadies and photography have nothing to do with each other. A roadie that's trying to shoot instead of doing the work he's hired to do is going to be unemployed very fast. A guy that offers to be a photographer OR a roadie will be taken seriously as neither and probably be considered a fanboy.

Bump to keep alive to grow knowledge. ;D

I was at a Children of Bodom concert the other night and watched the group of 10 photographers standing stage front, running around trying to all get the same shot from the same angle, before having to leave after the 3rd song. They were all shooting wide and as it was a small venue with a fairly low stage the shots weren't all going to be completely up the bands noses, but the majority were. All I could think of was why don't these people shoot from better angles, and then it struck me, they were all the amateur "concert" photographers that don't know any better. When I watch concerts as a photographer, I look at everything, all the angles, what would make great images, different images. What I see is the front stage amateurs all ending up with the same things, variety sells pictures. If a band looks at a thousand photos and they all look the same except one that is different, guess which one stands out the most, guess which one has a better chance of being sold.

I think it's better to give NO advice than to give incorrect advice. "Depending on the band and their promoters just photographing them without being contracted to do so or on a specific press pass can be against their trademark and copyright or that of the venue. " This is so far from correct it's not funny. You can't copyright a human. You can't copyright a venue. Artists and venues have the right to restrict photography under some circumstances, but what you wrote is just entirely wrong.

A venue may have a house photographer, but otherwise, venues aren't doing the hiring. The majority of people in the pit are there for editorial purposes, shooting for some publication or website. Unfortunately, those gigs don't generally pay well, but most photo passes are for the press. Getting a gig working as a photographer for the band is tough because fans are willing to shoot for free. Being a paid photographer working for the band comes from acting professionally and networking and all that other standard business stuff. The roadie idea is just bizarre. Roadies and photography have nothing to do with each other. A roadie that's trying to shoot instead of doing the work he's hired to do is going to be unemployed very fast. A guy that offers to be a photographer OR a roadie will be taken seriously as neither and probably be considered a fanboy.
Have you ever looked at the images, signage and back walls at a concert where there is something VERY recognizable and is a trademarked slogan or copyrighted image? LOTS of them. I have images from a concert I had to remove for exactly that reason.

Pics were okay but youd have to pick it up a notch to get paid on the regular for this. most folks I know that do this regularly are associated with local publications and honestly dont get paid much for it either.

When you mean okay, can you give more detail?

Im working with a D3100 so im pushing its limits fairly far considering its limits with iso also iv noticed alot of photographers here don't understand how many variables come into play in concert photography CAN I PLEASE GET SOME CRITIQUE FROM PHOTOGRAPHERS THAT HAVE DONE CONCERTS AND NOT SOME ONE THAT THINKS THERE IS A LAMP FLOATING ON TOP OF THE ARTIST AT ALL TIMES?
SORRY if now im sounding like a dick but I feel it would be fair since i shoot every photo in M mode and i honestly would prefer to see what experience im getting.

. I'm organizing my site so i can direct you all to my more recent photos.

wonder what happened to the first few posters?

When you mean okay, can you give more detail?

Im working with a D3100 so im pushing its limits fairly far considering its limits with iso also iv noticed alot of photographers here don't understand how many variables come into play in concert photography CAN I PLEASE GET SOME CRITIQUE FROM PHOTOGRAPHERS THAT HAVE DONE CONCERTS AND NOT SOME ONE THAT THINKS THERE IS A LAMP FLOATING ON TOP OF THE ARTIST AT ALL TIMES?
SORRY if now im sounding like a dick but I feel it would be fair since i shoot every photo in M mode and i honestly would prefer to see what experience im getting.

. I'm organizing my site so i can direct you all to my more recent photos.

Sure. Youre work is decent. You are getting some decent quality images and exposure given your gear. But I did not see any photos that really wowed me. I also saw some that had color issues especially in the red channels where body parts and faces were getting washed out. I have done concert and club photography and know many local photographers for Houston Press.

CAN I PLEASE GET SOME CRITIQUE FROM PHOTOGRAPHERS THAT HAVE DONE CONCERTS AND NOT SOME ONE THAT THINKS THERE IS A LAMP FLOATING ON TOP OF THE ARTIST AT ALL TIMES?
Is there a reason, particular to event photography that would make this a desired effect?
i shoot every photo in M mode
Why? Is this out of the mistaken impression that it somehow makes you a better photographer? Your camera has four modes; each has their advantages and disadvantages. Knowing when to use which one, and what mode will deliver the best results under a given set of conditions is what you need to learn.

I was one of the first few posters... I already said what I had to say....

If you want to do this professionally.. you really need better equipment. The D3100 is not known for it low light / high ISO capabilities.... especially when compared to D700 / D3 capability! Don't know what lenses your are using, but I doubt that they are top end. Going up against pros that DO have those tools.. you don't stand a chance unless you can compete on an even playing ground.

I checked out your shots also.... not quite where you need to be to really make it in a business that is very hard to break into! Start small.. local bands.... get to know the business from the ground up. Maybe you will get lucky (but keep your day job until that happens!)

I don't care how good you are.. if you can't get good shots due to a serious lack of HIGH ISO CAPABILITY... you are going to be very limited in any venue that doesn't allow flash. Considering your gear... you do OK... not great, but OK!

Like I also said earlier.. find a couple of small local bands... shoot them as much as they will let you. Check with club managers, agents, etc.. try to get in their good graces.. maybe you will catch a break. DO NOT be a smart A$$ with anyone, it only takes ONCE and you are screwed after word gets around! In the meantime, get a job, upgrade your equipment... the absolute cheapest camera I can think of that would help you would be a D7000.. best choice for a reasonable low price would be a D700. You also REALLY need good lenses (preferably NIKON .. personal bias).. although some of the 3rd party lenses can do a good job also.

Work your A$$ off at this if you really want it.. it is NOT going to just fall in your lap!

Oh... and stating that you only shoot in "M" is something only an amateur would say.. as was mentioned, the other modes are VERY useful! It is knowing what MODE to use, and WHEN to use that is one of the things that starts you on the road to being a real photographer.

Last edited:
Learning to mix flash and ambient lighting will help a great deal.

Learning to take the shots at the right time is key. The 'lamp above their head' might not always be on, but when it is you better be ready with your finger on the shutter.

Mix up the angles, move around and get used to saying sorry every time you clock someone in the head with your lens.

Most reactions

Back