need advice on outside portraits

pregnantcowlady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have to take mother's day pictures for all of the people at our church this sunday. They asked me to, and of course I had to agree, although i've never done portraits before in my life.

It'll be about 10 AM and i'll be shooting on the west side of the building, and the sun rises in the east (duh)

so... anyone have any tips of where i should angle them or anything like that?
there's a few flowered trees around the area, so i was thinking of pointing them towards the sun so that their eyes light up, but should i still use flash?

or should i place them behind the sun and use flash?

i only have an on camera flash (pop-up),so i guess you see my dilemma.

i need all the help i can get. haha

thanks in advance

I have to take mother's day pictures for all of the people at our church this sunday. They asked me to, and of course I had to agree, although i've never done portraits before in my life.

It'll be about 10 AM and i'll be shooting on the west side of the building, and the sun rises in the east (duh)

so... anyone have any tips of where i should angle them or anything like that?
there's a few flowered trees around the area, so i was thinking of pointing them towards the sun so that their eyes light up, but should i still use flash?

or should i place them behind the sun and use flash?

i only have an on camera flash (pop-up),so i guess you see my dilemma.

i need all the help i can get. haha

thanks in advance
Facing the sun, they'll squint. Facing away from the sun requires more flash power than the pop-up. If it were me, I'd take advantage of sun rising in the east. (Does that always happen or is it special for Mother's Day?) Take the shots in the shade behind the church building.

BE AWARE THAT I AM NOT A PRO.

Most reactions

Back