Need advice

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I've got my lumix g85 I've been focused more on it lately as opposed to my Nikon d3300. I focus more video when I have my g85. Haven't really tried it for photography. Bottom line the question is this.

Should I focus on one camera? I feel like at this point I need to decide on a brand that way I can invest on one rather then go all over the place and get a lens for my D3300 then get a lens for my g85.

My end goal is to get into Sony full frame mirrorless because
1) The A7s have amazing low light capabilities
2) The advantage of the shallow depth of field that full frames give.
3) I like the mirrorless system of my g85 better then the dslr style of my d3300.

I have no idea what to do at this point because if I invest into both cameras it'll be a while before I can ever have the money to invest into full frame.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Last week I saw something on the web about Panasonic perhaps reducing its emphasis on cameras; I would check into that.

I wouldn´t recommend the a7s for portraits. The focus is rather slow and doesn´t have the great features other sony mirrorless cameras have (face detection, eye focus,...). The noise is awesome, but you always have to consider that the size of the image is really small. If you reduce an a7r image to 12mpix, you might get a similar result.

I meant like the new models. Like the A7r2. Which has great autofocus from what I hear. It's a beast. I follow someone on instagram who does portraits and that's how I fell in love with the idea. He uses a Sony a7r2.

I meant like the new models. Like the A7r2. Which has great autofocus from what I hear. It's a beast. I follow someone on instagram who does portraits and that's how I fell in love with the idea. He uses a Sony a7r2.

Sorry, I thought you meant the "s". a7rII is awesome!!!

That's a lot of money to spend on a body with features that are not geared toward your declared field of interest. The camera body is probably less important in portraiture than almost any other field since you are in control of all the other factors. You're in control of the lighting, so low-light performance isn't critical, you have time to focus, so fast focus and all those fancy 'detection' features are irrelevant, you never need to shoot super slowly, so stabilization isn't an issue, and if you do, grab Mr. Tripod...

Looking at a different perspective.

If you bought a Nikon and a Panasonic but you are only interested in SONY ....
Why not just sell both and get into SONY gear ?

You don't have to by a 7R<whichever> initially.
You could get a A6300 or A6500 and build from there.

You like FullFrame but are using a APS-C with the Nikon and a 4/3rds with the Panasonic.

Other contradictions .... you want to do Portraits, but seem to have a hardware emphasis on Low Light?

I think you've found someone online in which you like their "style"
A particular style is *not* based on the camera model.

You may want to work on the part behind the camera, of an existing camera, and work on mimicking that style and what that effort and knowledge takes for that style.

I think you would be disappointed if you had a 7R (or whatever) and the pictures didn't come out exactly as you see online. There is more to a photo than just taking a snapshot.

Looking at a different perspective.

If you bought a Nikon and a Panasonic but you are only interested in SONY ....
Why not just sell both and get into SONY gear ?

You don't have to by a 7R<whichever> initially.
You could get a A6300 or A6500 and build from there.

You like FullFrame but are using a APS-C with the Nikon and a 4/3rds with the Panasonic.

Other contradictions .... you want to do Portraits, but seem to have a hardware emphasis on Low Light?

I think you've found someone online in which you like their "style"
A particular style is *not* based on the camera model.

You may want to work on the part behind the camera, of an existing camera, and work on mimicking that style and what that effort and knowledge takes for that style.

I think you would be disappointed if you had a 7R (or whatever) and the pictures didn't come out exactly as you see online. There is more to a photo than just taking a snapshot.

I think you read into my initial message way too much. Yes I admire an artists style per say but I don't think it's all because of the camera. I just know for most of the photography I'm into that low light is my own style that can be done without the lighting aspect per say. I even have friends with the camera so there are many factors into why I want the Sony systems.

The reason I contradict myself with sensor size is because I got my Panasonic for video. The crop sensor was what I started off with. That's just how it ended up being. I would have no problem getting rid of my crop sensor and upgrading to the full frame but d3300's don't go for much.

The Panasonic on the other hand does just fine for my video needs, which is why I was wondering if I could just adapt to the 4/3rds system for photo to save my money.

The reason I contradict myself with sensor size is because I got my Panasonic for video. The crop sensor was what I started off with. That's just how it ended up being. I would have no problem getting rid of my crop sensor and upgrading to the full frame but d3300's don't go for much.

The Panasonic on the other hand does just fine for my video needs, which is why I was wondering if I could just adapt to the 4/3rds system for photo to save my money.

Yes, just use the Panasonic G85 for photography.

You probably didn't spend much on the D3300 ... and over time their value decreases. It also does video doesn't it?

Who do you follow on Instagram?
Do they use instagram filters ?

At one time I bought a Nikon P7800 mostly for video as the small sensor provided a greater depth of field vs my FullFrame cameras. But the smaller sensors are not very good in "average lighting". I sold it after my use of it trailed off significantly.

That's a lot of money to spend on a body with features that are not geared toward your declared field of interest. The camera body is probably less important in portraiture than almost any other field since you are in control of all the other factors. You're in control of the lighting, so low-light performance isn't critical, you have time to focus, so fast focus and all those fancy 'detection' features are irrelevant, you never need to shoot super slowly, so stabilization isn't an issue, and if you do, grab Mr. Tripod...

Sorry, I have to disagree, tirediron. There are different kinds of portrait shooters these days - many shoot with available light only and in rather bad lighting situations too. Also in regard to those detection features - they are great. Most of the time you don´t need to care to select an AF-Point and easily portrait people in action too. Plus: the AF points are available almost anywhere on the screen. No need to crop later because that AF Point just wasn´t available where you wanted it - also no need for focus-recompose.

In a studio envionment I´ll totally agree with you though. I still use my Canons for these type of shots because I don´t like the EVF in the studio.

It will be hard developing your style if you keep changing systems. You will be spending more time figuring out how your tools work and less time using your tools to do your work.

As the lenses are the biggest investment in the longer term, I think you need to pick a system and stick to it. Perhaps focus on micro 4/3 and get a nice portrait lens such as the Lumix 42.5 or Olympus 45, then upgrade the body to an OMD in the future?

If considering Sony, try first, as the handling is not for everyone.

Most reactions

Back