Need an inexpensive, lightweight tripod.

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I have a Bogen Manfrotto tripod that is as stable as a rock....but is too heavy and bulky for my general hiking expeditions (when I am not going to a destination I KNOW I want the more stable tripod). Because of its weight I just leave it at home most of the time. So I am looking for a lightweight tripod that is in the $50 range. I have been eyeballing this one at B+H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150511-REG/Cullmann_CU_1002_Compact_Tripod.html#goto_itemInfo

Its one review is pretty glowing considering the cost and material its made of. The weight is absolutely perfect, and it does have independantly adjustable legs. But still, being an inexpensive tripod I am weary (but what do I expect for setting such a low price point :blushing: .) If anyone would care to comment on this tripod, or if you have an idea of something else that fits the criteria I am happy to hear from you!

Thanks,
Brian

Never used it myself, but with tripods it seems the old saying "you get what you pay for" holds true. You can get lighter tripods for a decent price, but the whole, if it seems to good to be true its probably is i think applies here, ive never heard anyone talk about that brand, but just dont expect much for the price like you said.

Hmmmm, thanks Mike, I think I will have to check out the electronics department at the local Wallyworld and see what they have.

Brian

Am I right that this tripod's under three feet tall at maximum height? If so, that may be useful -- but it basically means shooting from your knees.

I didnt notice that bob, yes you are right, its maximum height is just under 3 feet. Might want to take that into consideration.

Yes, it only goes to three feet. I am willing to sacrafice height for weight/price. This will not be a "workhorse" tripod....thats what the Bogen is for. Rather I am looking for something that is light enough to go unnoticed on a regular day trip (my hikes average between 8-15 miles and anywheres from 2800-4000 feet of elevation climbing) for use on those "spur of the moment" shots where a tripod would be usefull.

Brian

?? Are you talking about the wallyworld one??

Mine is right at 5 feet tall with the legs out.

They are talking about the one linked by the OP.

a workable tripod for 50$ just doesnt exist.

calumet has a really good starter tripod for like 99 itll last you years.

if you have more then a point and shoot, your dslr will rip apart a cheap tripod

within months. Unless your not using it much.....

I bought a Quantaray QSX-Digi Pro 8500 about 6 months ago. It only weighs 4.5 pounds and it is fairly stable. And, the price is right. I actually paid ~$20 more for mine when I bought it. If you DO buy one, see if the seller/store has a hook in the box for a weight. I bought the last one and either the hook doesn't come with it or someone took it out of the box and the store personnel were certainly no help.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/291660710.htm

My friend, who is a freelance landscape photographer, bought a second Bogen that matches the one he owns already and cut down the legs to reduce weight. But spending over $150 to take a hacksaw to it just don't seem right. Maybe I should peruse e-bay and see if I can get something quality used, and then I would not feel so bad chopping it up. I dunno, Ill see what the local Ritz has, and check out Wallyworld out of curiosity.

Brian

if you want something light, that you can carry around *if* you need something you have it kinda tripod, then just go to WOLF CAMERA and check out the short mini tri pods they have. I don;t know who else or if everyone else carries these things... But hey, they are cheap, they are very small - like 10 inches or less and they will hold your gear to get that shot. Or then again, just hand old or get creative and set your camera on a rock and use your lens cover to prop up the lens etc like I do all the time. I have a 6" tall mini pod thing I bought more than 15 years ago that is still used and always goes with the gear. I also have a VANGAURD tri pod that I bought around the same time, it goes 5 feet or so with a center tower and a quick release pad thing... Old Faithful just snapped off one of the leg lever locks a couple weeks ago when I was setting up to take some fotos of me the missus and our baby on the beach in Monterey. OOPS! But I only spent less than 30 bucks on it way back then so it has had a useful life. I am going to get another one, dunno the brand, haven;t found one yet, will get something short, small and light but will hold a bit of weight... If I have it I will carry it so I don;t want a heavy studio type tripod. I have a carbon fibre manfrotto monopod which is great. The GITZO tripods are really nice too, and you can get em so that folded up they are less than a foot and weight like a feather but you get to pay the price for this ;)

Most reactions

Back