Need entry level SLR...

USCRugbyNo1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been reading a lot about cameras of late catching up on all the terminology. I want to purchase an entry level SLR that shoots video as well as take stills. I don't mind buying used as it saves me money! :D I will be starting a family soon as and I'm a real estate professional. I'm a big Canon guy and have always loved their products. I went into Wolf camera and the guy told me the best camera for me would be the The Sony alpha 35 Digital SLT. He said the image stabilization was built in and the panoramic feature that it has would work great for real estate pictures. He also said the video is pretty good.

I feel that if I purchased a Canon, I could easily find a used wide angel lens cheap. The lens would be preferred to make rooms look larger for listings. Or if I purchased the Sony, I could just use the panoramic feature.

I'm confused and wanted your thoughts!

You don't need a Sony to make panoramics. Just about any digital camera can create them in post.

Hey guys,

I have been reading a lot about cameras of late catching up on all the terminology. I want to purchase an entry level SLR that shoots video as well as take stills. I don't mind buying used as it saves me money! :D I will be starting a family soon as and I'm a real estate professional. I'm a big Canon guy and have always loved their products. I went into Wolf camera and the guy told me the best camera for me would be the The Sony alpha 35 Digital SLT. He said the image stabilization was built in and the panoramic feature that it has would work great for real estate pictures. He also said the video is pretty good.

I feel that if I purchased a Canon, I could easily find a used wide angel lens cheap. The lens would be preferred to make rooms look larger for listings. Or if I purchased the Sony, I could just use the panoramic feature.

Pentax entry level blows Canons entry level off the face of the planet.
It's not even a close race.
I'll be parting with a Pentax system within 30 days. The entire package lenses and all.
You might take a look at what a k5 Pentax can do.

Canon has a great selection of lenses and used ones are easy to find. What's your budget?

Sounds like the guy at Wolf Camera was told to push the Sony merchandise. The two best selling manufacturers on the planet are Nikon and Canon by a WIDE margin.

Keep in mind because you are going to be shooting indoors at wide angles, you'd be better off with a full frame camera. Speed and auto focus isn't necessary (at least for real estate), so a used 5D would be appropriate if it fits the budget.

SCraig said:
Sounds like the guy at Wolf Camera was told to push the Sony merchandise. The two best selling manufacturers on the planet are Nikon and Canon by a WIDE margin.

How true I have a fully decked out Sony kit that is growing dust since I replaced it with a 60d

Maybe not so much Sony but more like a Sony gimmick.

The only difference between the gimmicks that Sony offers and the gimmicks that Nikon and Canon offer is who the gimmicks are marketed to.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies. I would like to stay around the 500 dollar range for the SLR. There are TONS of these on craigslist and lots of lenses as well. Some of it's use will be for real estate, but a lot will be used outside. Beach, family events and zoos etc etc. I do want a camera that can take multiple shots per second and takes a shoot as soon as I press the button. I hate the delay.

In the camera image stabilization (IS) has some noteable drawbacks. Sony inherited their in the camera IS when they bought Konica Minolta's camera/film business in 2006. Sony has been designing SLR cameras for a very short time compared to Nikon and Canon.

In-body image stabilization requires the lens to have a larger output image circle because the sensor is moved during exposure and thus uses a larger part of the image. Compared to lens movements in optical image stabilisation systems the sensor movements are quite large, so the effectiveness is limited by the maximum range of sensor movement, where a typical modern optically stabilized lens has greater freedom. The required sensor movement (both speed and range) increase with the focal length of the lens being used, making sensor-shift technology less suited for very long telephoto lenses, especially when using slower shutter speeds because the available motion range of the sensor quickly becomes insufficient to cope with the increasing image displacement.Image stabilization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey guys,

Get the Sony A35, or better yet, try to find an A33 body for the flip out screen. I love my A33. It's a great all-around entry level SLR that's good for video as well. Check out my flikr and judge for yourself.

Most reactions

Back