What's new

Need experienced advice before I buy a camera for Macro-Photography

TheBugmanCometh

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 17, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like some experienced opinions or suggestions for a camera that will be suitable for taking crisp, close-up photos of insects specifically, whether by itself or with the aid of an extra lense.

My main problems are budget, and a general lack of knowledge about the technical specifications I would need to be looking for in a camera. I have been browsing Amazon, through the Canon brand especially, but none of them seem to actually clarify whether the lenses are replaceable/threaded, even though I'm sure that some of them must be.

What I do know are a handful of requirements I would like to see, as well as a couple perks that would be helpful, if ultimately infeasible due to lack of budget. Hopefully this will help you kind and generous fellows to better help me, as you see fit. ;)

Must-haves:

Price Range: <$300 (preferably <~$250)

Ability to take macro shots as-is, or must be threaded to accept new lenses (Is this where minimum focal length comes into play?)

Humongo MP are not necessary, so long as the camera's sensor is optimized for the amount of MP advertised. (Example: my 2MP cell-phone takes better pictures than a purportedly 7MP digi-cam. How sad is that?)

Would-like-to-haves:
.RAW format (If it's a Canon model of specific make, I may be able to use CHDK to obtain .RAW format even if the camera cannot do it out of the box.

AA batteries instead of Lithium Ion rechargeables

(May think of more, brain has gone blank for the moment)

---------------

I wouldn't mind trying to research this more myself, but I find it hard to even think of how to search for some of these requirements, and I don't feel that browsing through 800+ results on Amazon is going to get me anywhere. After a while the specs all look too similar for me to make an informed decision for one camera over another.

So, I figured the best way to find out would be to ask. Hope you guys can give me a hand, and thanks in advance.
 
Given your price range, you're looking at a point and shoot, or perhaps a second-hand bridge camera. There are so many models that it's really difficult to recommend a specific one. Your best bet will be to go to a camera store (NOT a big-box store that also sells cameras) and explain your needs and budget and see what they have to offer.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom