Need feedback on a photo

yip812

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I am not a professional by any means, but a friend of mine who has always liked my photos asked me to provide some pictures to decorate her office.

I gave her a sampling, and she chose a few she liked. This photo was among them, and was her favorite.

I took it on a bright day with fog. I didn't like it. Played around with it in gimp, darkened and upped the contrast a lot. Its better now, but I still don't love it.

My friend, however, says that everyone who comes into her office raves about it. She ordered a larger print of it and this will be the main focal point in her office.

Am I being too critical of my own work? And if not, can you help me pinpoint just what's wrong with it? I'm having trouble figuring out what I don't like (and it's very easy for me to find the faults in other people's photos).

Thank You!

railroad.jpg

The left side of your photo has some distracting points. The edge of the sidewalk, and the corner of the deck. I wouldn't suggest cropping anymore but some cloning (or whatever tool works best for you) might help this photo a little bit.

edit; or; someone who knows photoshop (if you do not)

I agree. The middle and right side of the image are great....the tracks, the fog, the trees.

But the houses, power lines and signs pull me out of the 'fantasy' that is the right side of the photo. Even holding up my hand to block the left side is a good improvement.

Try a different crop or maybe get crazy with it and try to edit all that stuff into dense fog.

others have already covered what I would have suggested reguarding the left side of the photo, composition, and appropriate subject matter...

just wanted to say that I find it a little crazy that I JUST saw this post on MDC not 10 minutes ago! small world. I also just noticed that you live in WA as well.

and congrats on being asked to print & share your work!

I actually pulled the picture and cropped it the same way the danjchau did...I didn't change anything but that and it was better...
railroad1.jpg

Hi with th elittle i know i did a little work on it.im sure there are many who could do a better job at it.
I can't say i love the shot but its good.
good work.

railroaad.jpg

Hi with th elittle i know i did a little work on it.im sure there are many who could do a better job at it.
I can't say i love the shot but its good.
good work.

railroaad.jpg

In this image you have blown out a lot of the colors including the blacks. Your first image you posted is better than this edit. You should have someone with photoshop edit this image.

In this image you have blown out a lot of the colors including the blacks. Your first image you posted is better than this edit. You should have someone with photoshop edit this image.

Op, here, just pointing out that I have only posted the first image, everything else has been someone else. I did not do this one.

Most reactions

Back