Need Help - 40D Buffer... 75? I'm only getting 6

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the 40D, the number of pics left before filling up buffer is displayed in the viewfinder on the very right of the green digits.

When I got the camera, it displayed 75, if I had the settings right (ISO) or if my ISO was different, it'd be 60 in the buffer... but no biggie...that's cause of file sizes.

Anyhow, now I can only get the 60-75 to show if I am under "ACTION" (the guy running) auto mode. Or, if I'm under a custom preset. If I am in Tv mode, which I shoot in at the races, I can't get a buffer of more than 6.

Any ideas????

Here are things I have ruled out...

it's NOT the shutter speed
it's NOT the ISO (the ISO does play with this number a little)

I can't seem to find any custom functions or anything in the menu..

Do you have the camera in burst mode? It's not going to give you a 75 image buffer in 1 shot mode. Sports mode automatically puts it in burst mode for obvious reasons.

Do you have the camera in burst mode? It's not going to give you a 75 image buffer in 1 shot mode. Sports mode automatically puts it in burst mode for obvious reasons.

:roll: yes.. I should've mentioned I ruled that out too. It's in the 6.5fps high speed burst mode.

What is your image quality setting? Small JPEG? Medium? Large? I figure that only in the samllest mode can you obtain 60-75 buffer.

What's your file mode? When in JPEG...you get a lot more than when in RAW.

You should still get more than 6 when in RAW...do you have it set to RAW+JPEG.

Is it defective? Maybe RAW+JPEG and in-camera noise reduction all turned on? Even my XT can push out 6 RAW files in a burst.

What is your image quality setting? Small JPEG? Medium? Large? I figure that only in the samllest mode can you obtain 60-75 buffer.

Large. In Large you can get the 60-75 buffer.. In medium and small it's much, much more than that :D

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but I have to ask, when would you EVER EVER shoot 75 frames in a row at 6.5 fps?

Never... however, I certainly shoot more than 6 at times.

What's your file mode? When in JPEG...you get a lot more than when in RAW.

You should still get more than 6 when in RAW...do you have it set to RAW+JPEG.

JPEG. Large

Is it defective? Maybe RAW+JPEG and in-camera noise reduction all turned on? Even my XT can push out 6 RAW files in a burst.

You are the lucky winner, as you found the problem! The culprit was High-ISO Noise Reduction, which limits the buffer to 6 pictures. Yes, even when you're shooting at 100ISO, the HINR affects this number.

Thanks!!! WOW it's crazy that Noise Reduction plays that big of an effect!

Thanks, DSLR noob :thumbup:

Not really crazy. NR is a complex algorithm. It dramatically affects the performance of the on camera signal processor. It won't be able to write out to the card very fast at all if it needs to process it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back