What's new

Need help deciding - Canon T1i or Nikon D3100?

hawkm

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dont really know which one to choose. This will be my first DSLR. I have a Hybrid now, but I much rather have a lens that I can take on and off. Its either the Canon T1i or Nikon D3100. I would be using this camera for average pictures. Pets, scenery, basically everything. I would also use it for video as well. Please help me.
 
Either one would be a good choice, Nikon feels more natural to me so that's what I go with - have you tried them both out? Which feels better and which layout makes more sense to you?
 
I will most likely go to Best Buy and play with them more. I got to hold them and play a little. What is better on the inside though?
 
I have a T1i and have nothing but good feelings about it. I don't knowthat much about the Nikon so there's not much of a comparison I can contribute.

And at this point, I'm biased anyway. ;)
 
Neither is better, really. Or, if you want to get hyper-technical, the Canon is very slightly better in some very minor ways -- at least in my view. The Nikon is also very slightly better in some areas, though. And they're close enough that it should really come down to which you prefer, and which line offers the lenses you want -- again, neither is really all that much better than the other, so it's purely a personal choice.
 
I dont really care about lens category. Lensbaby compatibility would be nice, but otherwise, I could buy a lens. I dont know anyone that has either or anyone that has a lens for me to keep. So its pretty much anything goes.
 
The D3100 has a color-aware metering system and the T1i (500D) doesn't. The D3100 spanks the T2i when it comes to high ISO performance: DxOMark - Compare sensors

Ironically, the T1i was originally intended by Canon to counter Nikon's D90.
The T1i failed miseably at that, and Canon was forced to quickly put together and introduce the T2i, though all the T2i did was kill T1i sales. Check the launch dates.

Nikon currently has a definate, if somewhat slight, technological lead over Canon. Of course, at some time in the future that could change.
 
I have a 550d/t2i and have previously had a 450d (not sure what american version is)
And i love the canon layout! There is something about Nikon that attracts me though. If the layout of a canon was put into a Nikon body i would be straight in there! But i think the canon is the best choice!
 
OP, let us know which one you go with. I have to make the same choice, although I have not been able to hold either camera. I'm just going to buy the body only (or if I buy the kit, sell the lens that comes with it) and buy a Sigma 18-200mm lens (so I can start out with one and not switch).

The pricing is basically the same, so I'm just looking to know which one is "better".
 
11x+ Super-Zoom, all-in-one, jack-of-all-trades lenses are also master-of-none lenses.

Design composmise after design compromise get stacked on each other and image quality suffers at the expense of convenience.

Many people find the convenience more important than image quality, which is why the lens makers have 18-200 mm offerings.
 
For still pictures, both are pretty similar overall (both have slight advantages and disadvantages relative to each other).

D3100 is much, MUCH better for Video. The D3100 will continuously auto-focus during video recording but with the T1i, you will have to manually focus during recording (unless you are recording something that doesn't move, in which case you can auto-focus before you start and not have to re-focus).
 
Go to your local store, And buy the one you like best. You've obviously put some time researching them both, And you know what your wanting in a camera. And anyways, They both do the same thing at the end of the day anyway.
 
Canon is very slightly better in some very minor ways -- at least in my view. The Nikon is also very slightly better in some areas, though. And they're close enough that it should really come down to which you prefer, and which line offers the lenses you want -- again, neither is really all that much better than the other, so it's purely a personal choice.

Do you have any details to go with this statement? This really doesn't say anything at all... I'm curious as to what you feel is slightly better on each system and why.

Thanks
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom