Need Help!! Dirty internals.

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i just got here to my hotel which im vacationing at and i noticed that when looking through the viewfinder that there are black spots on it. i pulled off the lens and checked the view finder again and noticed they were still there. Now bare with me, but i looked through the lens hole and noticed that on the upper part (under flash, sorry imvery part illiterate, that there are some things of dust or something. I took a tissue and very gently tried wiping some of it off and i got most of it off but there is still some there. Any way to clean this piece easier?

Thanks

It can be cleaned, but I would wait until you are home.
If the dust is on the viewfinder it will not affect the pictures in any way.

The quickest and easiest way is a blower like this: http://www.adorama.com/GTRABM.html?searchinfo=blower&item_no=3. It can be picked up at any camera store. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, it won't effect images at all. If it's really bothering you then you can use the blower I listed. I have on occasion used compressed air, but you need to be carefull when doing this. If you use it too long or tilt the can at all the can will squirt out the liquid co2 and it will really F up your camera.

put your cam to the smallest apature and shoot the sky, then use the screen on the back to check for any dust that is on your sensor not in the view finder, this is what will kill your images, not dust on your viewfinder. Either way you're best leaving it for now unless you see a camera store and ask them to clean it. Here in the UK it costs about £15 for a sensor swab clean.

Alright thanks guys.. ya it doesnt seem to be affecting the pictures. But im only looking at them through the LCD on the back. I will have to use this computer later to check the photos.

The dust isnt just on the viewfinder its on the inside as well, but like you guys said im sure it wont be on an important part.

One last question, whats the easiest way to get the lens cleaned? Im talking about the external glass on the front of the lens (when attached to camera). I also have a little bit of dust or something on there. Thanks guys.

Well, assuming you can't just blow it off, you buy a microfiber cleaning cloth to swipe whatever off, it's $5 at Ritz Camera and is a permanent staple in my camera bag. Otherwise you will need to use a liquid-based lens cleaner - which I've been wondering about, is it OK to use either eyeglass cleaner or LCD monitor cleaner on a camera lens? Thanks...

^ill have to go up to the "local" camera store and get one.

You don't need to worry about it too much. If you can see it, it won't show in the pictures. Dust showing up in your pictures will not be visible through the viewfinder.

If it's really bugging you and you want to get rid of it, just be careful not to damage the mirror or focusing screen.

Available from The Source/Radio Shack or whatever it is called in your area is a can of AIR spray which will quickly blow dust out of electronics and other areas. It works like any other spray can except that all it sprays is AIR.

skieur

Most reactions

Back