Need help fixing an Owl photo please...

blakjak8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot from inside a home and through a window and screen. I know...Get Outside! Without getting detailed...It was not a possibility. How can I clean this picture up? I realize it has many, many limitations. But the lady whoms home I was in Loves Tom (the owl) and has poor eyesight and wheelchair bound. Thought it might be nice for her to have a picture of him. She hears him but cannot see him. My "photo fixing" skills are in their infancy. Thank you very much for any assistance! It is greatly appreciated!!

DSC02544edited.jpg

It's very sweet what you're doing. I'm new here, so I can't help you, but I hope someone will!

I did this in 2 minutes. I'm not sure if this is feasible.

Could you post the original image? RAW file?

I'm sure someone can do a much better job.

owl.jpg

Last edited:
I did this in 2 minutes. I'm not sure if this is feasible.

Could you post the original image? RAW file?

I'm sure someone can do a much better job.

owl.jpg
Wow! That looks much better already! How did you do that? And to answer the RAW question...I only saved it in Jpeg fine (Sony). It's okay to chew me out about not shooting in RAW...I know better.

You don't really have to shoot in RAW all the time. I just shoot in RAW when I know for sure that the picture will need some adjusting due to thinks like glass being in the way. ;)

Well, yes...hmm...okay *chews on blakjak's arm for not shooting RAW*

The biggest benefit of RAW in this case would be that your risk of posterising tones by upping contrast aggressively (you can see a bit of posterisation happening in creisinger's edit) is significantly reduced, given the much larger bit-depth. If that was too technical: RAW gives you much, much more room to manoeuvrer when trying to save a photo.

Oh, and good job creisinger. I have to admit I tried to play with it a little and didn't really get anywhere useful with it. (Maybe it's the flu mucking with my head. :lol: )

Thanks. I only screwed around with several layer modes and reduced some noise to make it bearable.

A higher resolution wouldn't have hurt in order to get a bit more sharpness out of it. Once an image is soft it's nearly impossible to get it sharper without reducing its size.

I always shoot RAW as with 16-Bit editing you will never run into banding issues in skies or other one-colored areas. Besides many other benefits, I think it's a life saver.

I always shoot RAW as with 16-Bit editing you will never run into banding issues in skies or other one-colored areas. Besides many other benefits, I think it's a life saver.

Never say never. :lol: I got banding once on a night shot after pushing it a little too far. It wasn't exactly amiable to me bumping things around a lot, even with a 14-bit RAW to work from.

Right click delete should fix it, it's not a keeper

The paragraph below is quoted from the OP's post. Under the circumstances, it's definitely a "keeper." Hopefully, those better than I am can improve image

"I realize it has many, many limitations. But the lady whoms home I was in Loves Tom (the owl) and has poor eyesight and wheelchair bound. Thought it might be nice for her to have a picture of him. She hears him but cannot see him."

Thank you very much for ALL of the responses and info! This is a great improvement and LOVED by Tom's ( the Owl) favorite fan!! I will try again sometime to get a much better picture ( in RAW ) and post it here again...although it may be a while. I did give credit where credit is due and she is very very appreciative! Feel free to give yourself a big warm and fuzzy hug! You did a very nice thing for a very good person...Thank you so much. Just imagine how much fun it will be with a decent image...stay tuned.

Most reactions

Back