Need help for Nightclub Photography

feel3sam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and i hope i will get good guidance and support from all the pro's

I recently started photography and now i am getting work from NightClubs, I have few gears as bellow and facing lots of issue while shooting in night club with low light

Body:
Nikon D5100

Lens:
18-55 Kit Lens
Tamron 70-300 VR
Nikkor 50mm 1.8D

Flash:
Camera Flash (as of now i cant afford any extra flash)

While shooting I am not getting proper photos, at times it gets very blury and at times lots of noise in the pictures, when i use 50mm 1.8D i cant focus on the subject due to low light and if i put flash on i am not getting ambiance light.

Please let me know what best settings i should use also under camera flash what changes i have to do.

waiting for your responses

Regards,
feel3sam

*Disclaimer* I am not a pro.

Practice your manual focusing. There should be a focus indicator light in the viewfinder to help you. As far as blurry, your shutter speed is too slow. As far as noise, your ISO is too high.

When I shoot in low light facilities, I shoot in aperture priority, and am lucky enough to have the ability to change both the aperture and the ISO with a selector wheel located by my thumg and index finger. Makes it easier to get decent exposure.

To be honest, you need a speedlight and some sort of diffuser, especially if you are getting "paying gigs" from these clubs. You also need to spend some time learning the basics of exposure..... the triangle and all that. Also, Unless someone was right next to you in the club, any advice as to settings would only be speculation, and may or may not work out for your situation. One thing I can say is that the pop up flash on your camera is virtually worthless if you expect to get decent images in a dark environment. My opinion is the hurt pics more than they help in most situations.

Seems like you might be trying to run before you can walk. If you have to ask basic exposure questions, you aren't ready to get paid for your services. My .02 of course, rmember what you paid for this advice.

thanks for your reply :) i will post few of my photos which i captured, in outdoor i am getting very decent output with my telephoto lens as well as kit and 50mm 1.8D, but in nightclubs i get stuck :(

I will upload the photos with exif data so that i will get more guidance and as i said i am new in photography ans still learning it.

thanks a lot

I will upload the photos with exif data so that i will get more guidance and as i said i am new in photography ans still learning it.

thanks a lot

Posting up pics is one of the best ways for people here to get more information on how to help you improve your photography.

I would love to see some pics and meta data too.

I have been shooting in nightclubs for years. There are tricks. It is super fun once you get the hang of it technically. I think the 50 f1.2 is a great start. A speed light helps a lot.

Are you getting paid for these jobs?

I would love to see some pics and meta data too.

I have been shooting in nightclubs for years. There are tricks. It is super fun once you get the hang of it technically. I think the 50 f1.2 is a great start. A speed light helps a lot.

Are you getting paid for these jobs?

as of now i am not getting paid, thats why cant afford new equips but once i improve i will get paid for sure.

Post some pictures and get a flash. And why do you think people will pay you to take pictures when you dont know what you are doing and do not have sufficent gear to get it done even if you did?

Most reactions

Back