Need help for processing night sky

Well, OK, then! Yeah, three stops is probably too far. And I'm going on my experience with my own 1.4 lens, which was awful wide open. I had MUCH better results stopping it down and raising the ISO.
What f/1.4 was that?

Sigma 30mm f:1.4 EX DC HSM. I got it used for a song, hoping for the best, but I should have been paid to take it. I'm not sure it's really that bad a lens, I think it had just seen a rough life. I knew going in that it had issues, but I was able to have it cleaned locally and it was WAY better after that. Still, it focuses poorly on distant objects, even in daylight, although within 6 to 8 feet or so it's actually quite nice. The distance issue may be something structural, as in not all the elements are where they ought to be, maybe.

My only wide lenses at the moment are my original Nikkor 18-55 kit (non-VR) and the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, so right now I don't have a good night-sky lens. The 18-55 is usable but not ideal, but I've borrowed a couple of nice lenses from local club members.

Well, OK, then! Yeah, three stops is probably too far. And I'm going on my experience with my own 1.4 lens, which was awful wide open. I had MUCH better results stopping it down and raising the ISO.
What f/1.4 was that?

Sigma 30mm f:1.4 EX DC HSM. I got it used for a song, hoping for the best, but I should have been paid to take it. I'm not sure it's really that bad a lens, I think it had just seen a rough life. I knew going in that it had issues, but I was able to have it cleaned locally and it was WAY better after that. Still, it focuses poorly on distant objects, even in daylight, although within 6 to 8 feet or so it's actually quite nice. The distance issue may be something structural, as in not all the elements are where they ought to be, maybe.

My only wide lenses at the moment are my original Nikkor 18-55 kit (non-VR) and the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, so right now I don't have a good night-sky lens. The 18-55 is usable but not ideal, but I've borrowed a couple of nice lenses from local club members.
ah that makes more sense

Most reactions

New Topics

Back