Need Help Identifying Subject Matter

The Notorious

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mahout and a decorated elephant | Mitchell Kanashkevich Photography

Hi guys! I'm new to photography. What is the meaning of subject matter in photography? Does anyone know? What is the subject matter of the photo above ? ^

This photo was taken in outskirts of Thrissur (Trichur), India. People in India respect elephants as elephants is a representation of their deity . Hence there are many festivals and events in India that involve elephants .

***mod edit - please don't upload photos you don't own the copyright to - please link to them as done above***

Last edited by a moderator:
The subject matter, or more simply, the subject of a photo is the main item or person of interest in the photo. Or more simply still, it is what the picture is of. The example is a picture of an elephant. The elephant is the subject (subject matter). The secondary subject is the person in the photo.

Last edited:
The subject matter, or more simply, the subject of a photo is the main item or personal of interest in the photo. Or more simply still, it is what the picture is of. The example is a picture of an elephant. The elephant is the subject (subject matter). The secondary subject is the person in the photo.
Oh i see ! Thx for the answer. Btw, is there rules of third incorporated in this photo?

The "subject" could be the love the mahout has for his elephant or vice versa???
The subject could be the colorful decorations on the elephant??

I see someone marked that funny...it is not. What is said is absolute truth. The subject is well, subjective, and can easily and often be simply a mood, or emotion. The elephant, decorations, mahout are ALL objects. One may be main and the others secondary, but they are OBJECTS, not the subject. An object can represent the subject.

The "subject" could be the love the mahout has for his elephant or vice versa???
The subject could be the colorful decorations on the elephant??

I see someone marked that funny...it is not. What is said is absolute truth. The subject is well, subjective, and can easily and often be simply a mood, or emotion. The elephant, decorations, mahout are ALL objects. One may be main and the others secondary, but they are OBJECTS, not the subject. An object can represent the subject.

Advanced Photo has a good grasp of humor, but little of the English language I see. ;)

Most reactions

Back